Prologue: Xylon

It was a beautiful crisp August morning. The way the leaves wrapped around the trees when the wind blew, made it seem like it was going to be a good day. I grabbed a blood bag out of the freezer from the kitchen and walked to the main hall to meet with my brother.

"They hope to put some blood bags towards the hospital."

He says talking to my mom. She is a strong, beautiful woman; never is she not smiling. Standing at 5'5", my mom stands next to my brother with heels to feel taller. Looking at her appearance, she decided to wear her hair up in a bun. She usually wears her hair like that if there's business to attend to.

"Well it's not like we need 300-400 blood bags."

She says laughing a little. When I am finally noticed, she welcomes me with a warming hug.

"Never know when you'll need more."

I say holding my blood bag in the air. Walking past them, I take a seat on on a chair, as I hate standing while drinking from a blood bag.

"With yours and your fathers appetite, yeah, we'll never know when we'll need more."

I finish half the bag before setting it down to talk.

"Would you rather me be an alcoholic?"

"Oh be quiet."

She says walking over and placing her hand on my cheek. Her phone began ringing, thus making our silent bonding moment end. She picks up her phone, while I decide to finish my blood bag.

"What?!... Okay... I'll have my sons come pick her up... Well explain to them that we are going to be taking care of her."

She walks towards the bar, listening intently, and pours herself a drink.

"Compel them if you need to... Harold.. Okay. They are on their way now."

She hangs up the phone and takes a sip of her drink.

"Mom, what happened?"

She looks worried, and it's making me worried, because she never worries.

"I need you and Xylon to go to the first blood bank, a girl passed out from giving blood... And she's been out for over two hours."

Before walking outside, I grab my hoodie and slide on my gloves. But when I walked outside, there was no sun in sight. On the drive to pick up the girl who passed out, my brother decided to talk about his Beloved, Dahlia.

"I promise you, you'll find your Beloved. Just takes time."

"I didn't know it was going to take 400+ years."

"Took me a while. But here I am. She said she wants to become a Vampire. She has the mark, she's all ready."

"Good. At least now you know you can have kids."

"I find it stupid, the whole thing. Your Beloved has to be a Vampire in order to have kids."

I shrug my shoulders at his statement, because I'm not in the position that he is in. He zooms past all the traffic, because no one ever stops this car. We arrive at the location and we head to the main desk at the front. The nice lady nurse leads us to the room that the girl is in. When we walk through the doorway to the room, there is only the girl. But... I start to have this strong urge... To protect her.

"Where did her friends go?"

Xavier says snapping me back at the situation. It's directed towards the doctor in the far end of the room. Barely even noticed him, as I am a little more focused on the girl.

"They all left, they said they were going to go to her parents house and explain to them what happened... Even though we call our patients parents if something like this happens."

No, no parents. My mom said to bring her home, and that's exactly what I am going to do.

"What did you tell them? Parents tend to worry about their kids."

My brother says, stopping me from going towards the girl, because he decided to walk over to her.

"I told them that she is under good care, though it didn't really seem that they cared."

I walk over to the girl, being drawn to her and everything, and I look at her. She has a slim body with sun kissed skin and her hair is a midnight black color, sort of like mine, that reaches to the end of her elbows.

"She's been out for two hours?"

I say looking at the doctor.

"Longer, now."

"Xavier take her. We'll be taking our leave now."

I say to my brother then to the doctor. Bowing my head, I exit the room. Once I get to the car and I finish strapping her in her seat, I pull my brother off to the side.

"What is it?"

I go back to the conversation that he and I were having on the way to the blood bank. His Beloved, they are the first of their kind to have a Vampire and Human together. It was a big surprise to everyone, but of course we had to accept it and move on.

"I found her."

"You found who?"

I look at my brother in the eyes and I try to collect my thoughts. This is really happening, so focus!

"MyBeloved... I found her."

My eyes drift over to the car; it's her.

"How can you be sure?"

"I have this feeling... To protect her."

I get into the car and I look at the girl. She wouldn't be someone I would go for, I mean, my mind would go for. Of course I would go for her, she's my Beloved. I hope to gain more while she's living here, I hope she falls in love with me naturally. See how I am, then decide.

"I had a feeling that basically told me that Dahlia was the one."

"What is the first step?"

"Well, finding her is the first step, getting her to let you mark her is the main step. It'll take time, you should never force her into it. She could reject you, and that would be devastating."

He drives the car back to the mansion. We live in the biggest house in the city. We have lived there for 400 years and all the people know of us as the starters of OneBlood, though some think of us as Vampires.
So we keep to ourselves and get through with the business without killing anybody. My mom would sometimes donate blood to a local hospital, but we keep majority of the bags.

"We're home."

He says pulling to the gates and drawing me away from my thoughts. Once the gates open, he drives through the gates and pulls into the one story parking garage. I decide to take the girl in my arms and carry her to my mom.

"Zavie?"

My mom says to Xavier, since he is ahead of me. When she sees me, she immediately runs over.

"What did Harold say?"

"That she's been out for over two hours."

"That is all he said?"

I nod my head and she shakes hers.

"I don't know why your father hired him. The man doesn't even check her vital signs."

She brushes the girls face and smiles at me with wide eyes.

"I must go tell your father."

"Wait.."

I say softly and watch her as she turns back around slowly.

"Not yet, I want her to grow to love me. And not have my family members intervene."

She loosens her fists into palms laying against her sides. She motions for Xavier and I to come inside and place the girl in a room that is two doors down from my room. This is really happening...