Chapter 19: Escape

Claire's P.O.V

My lower back is aching in pain, pain that haven't really felt before, I feel like dying. It's a sharp, piercing pain, that is affecting the rest of my body. I need to move... I want to move. My legs are attempting to move, but there is suddenly a pair of hands on my legs.
It's got to be Sage, or maybe even Dahlia, either way, I'll never be able to feel my legs move. Not until the baby is born. I don't remember exactly why I didn't want to know the gender, but I'm sure it is for a good reason, so I won't dare ask. I'm sure Dahlia knows, but she is such a good secret keeper, poker face and all.
I open my eyes, as best as possible, to look at my caretaker.
It's Sage. And to think that I hadn't liked her before, in the beginning. About, how long ago? I can't even remember. Hm.. I sure as hell hope that I'm not dying. I know that three weeks ago I was brought home, or shoved through a portal.
I do know that they haven't went through with the plan yet, because then Xylon would be here. No, instead they have been preparing for the day. The next day for them to receive blood is...

"We are getting Xylon today.."

I felt happy inside, knowing that today I was going to see Xylon. Today, he was going to be home.
Before I am able to speak a word of how happy I was, blood began spewing out of my mouth.
No...

Xylon's P.O.V

My limbs are hanging, like a rag doll, waiting for King Asshole to readjust the chains. Usually when my body is hanging like this, someone will come in and adjust the chains, but not today. Today I starve and wait for the blood to come in. My body is slumped more than before because of what happened yesterday. Yesterday, the guards to my room thought that it would be a bright idea to beat me half to death.
Well, it wasn't bright for them by the time the King arrived in the room. The King had almost slaughtered them all, if it weren't for the loyalty...
They rarely change my clothes, which is good, but also tricky to get around. I still have the knife that the King was going to use to kill me with, but hiding it is almost impossible. So I did the impossible. I took the knife out, while they were all sleeping, and I pushed it deeply beneath my skin, close to my ribs but far from my heart. Basically leaving me weak and vulnerable.
Thankfully I get my intake of blood today, they haven't fed me in over three days. My body is desiccating from the lack of blood in my body, which I highly doubt he knows.

"Kai! I said we are leaving now!"

I hear, barely, from the opposite side. I can't tell who is screaming at Kai, but I can tell that Kai is getting annoyed. I can sense it on him, he reeks of it. But he can't do anything about it, he just has to sit there and take whatever is being thrown at him.
Before I could hear anything else, the doors fly open, followed by Kai and an unknown other. They are angry, but again, they cannot do anything about it. Before the both stop walking, Kai looks at the unknown other and breaks his neck. I'm unable to show emotion from the way my body feels.

"Yeah, yell at me again. Hey, wake up."

Kai whispers into my ear. Wait, he isn't yelling at me or punching me? He seemed angry and annoyed outside the door. Besides the point, my eyes are already open.

"What...?"

I can barely get a sentence out before the pain surfaces. I flinch and am unable to hide it, causing Kai to become concerned.

"What did you do?"

"Can I.. Trust you?"

"Trust me, I had to look after Claire, last thing I want is you to be killed."

I cough, only at the fact that I'm starving. I can hear his blood pumping, and it's driving me insane. I lick my lips in anticipation, but I hold myself back. What if he is truly trying to set me free? What kind of person would I be if I just ripped open his artery and fed?