Chapter 24: The Ball

Claire's P.O.V

"Okay, tonight is your night to shine. You have your dress picked out, the dance is complete, and tonight might be the night."

Dahlia says bringing my hair up in her hands. She's more excited than I am, I'm more of nervous than excited. I wish I could be excited, I mean yeah the ball is for Xylon and I, and I get to meet all the townspeople, but I'm still nervous.
There is a pit in my stomach, telling me to cancel the ball.
But knowing how stubborn that is, I keep it to myself.

"I don't know. There's a lot that has to be done..."

"But he could spare a few minutes in asking you a simple question."

Even though I wanted to fire back another comment, she was right. I can't push it away to the point where I'll never see it coming at all.

"Well, do you know how one will act when he does?"

The door unlocks and swings open and in comes Sage. She shuts the door quietly behind her and walks over towards us smiling.

"I know how one acts."

She says with a smirk now forming on her face.

"I'll tell you, as you get ready. Each step is a process, and it involves everything that you are doing to get ready. The way your hair looks, your makeup... He'll compliment you on anything, but every one is for a different reason."

"How do you know? Have you ever been proposed to?"

"No, but Xylon had."

"Woah, what? Explain?"

"He proposed to a girl back when he thought he would never find his mate. This all makes sense why she died now, she died two days before the wedding. The gods said they were angry that he wouldn't wait to find his mate. That he should be punished for even doing this.
You see, Xylon never really looked for his mate, he just thought she would find him. That's how our parents met. He was pretty stubborn, way before you met him Dahlia. My mom tried to persuade him to look for her, but never did he.
He said that he didn't feel it in his heart, that he knew she wasn't here."

"So he went and married someone. Probably settled down for a while.."

"They dated for two years before he asked her."

"Wow. I guess I'm the shortest relationship to get married in.."

"Hey.."

Dahlia says bringing my face to look directly into the mirror.

"You're his mate. This is completely normal for you two to get married. To complete your bond."

"So why don't you?"

I asked out of complete curiosity.

"I'm, afraid. I feel that I'm going to do something to mess it up. He tries to show me, and he does, but.. It's hard to explain.."

"It's okay. Let's just, start getting ready. Did everyone eat?"

"No, but don't worry.. I brought some."

Sage says walking over to the door, where she left a red bag that said 'keep cold'.
She returned with the bag and opened it up. My fangs immediately withdrew themselves and I placed my hand over my mouth, not wanting them to be seen.

"Someone else is hungry."

"Just a little. When I was pregnant, well you know. My appetite was pretty large. Well, it partially carried over. You should see me nowadays...I'm strong."