Despondent (Emotionless x reader)

this is kinda a weird concept, considering his name is Emotionless, which is why this is doesn't end happy yayyyyyyy

maybe I just wanna see the world burn

I would say happy reading, but I'm trying to make sure it's not really so suffer lol

I had come under the impression years ago while I was still in college that I wouldn't be there for a long while for an exchange program. I really didn't have too much experience at the time besides the few jobs I had gotten during school to make some side money, but thankfully the exchange program helped me get one indirectly. Since the city I was headed to in particular had been experiencing brain drain, they were practically all over the fact that I was working to get a doctoral in Chemistry. I wanted to become a Forensic Toxicologist, and after another two years, I could finally have it. But in the meantime, I needed to try and find a place that could get me experience, which is when I stumbled across the lab Emotionless ran.

I looked all over to see where I could apply, or anything about it really. I read about some of the research they did there, and was enthralled. All science was interesting to me, so I also thought about digging out old recommendation letters from teachers that helped me get into university. Once I finally found out how to contact those who worked there, which was via email, I sat there for almost two hours just trying to perfectly word what I wrote. I included as many references as I could and crossed my fingers as I hit sent.

After a few days, I got my response, and it sounded positive. The lab director had asked me to come for an interview, to which I promptly replied that I had nothing going on for the next few days since I was still sort of new to the town. I remembered being so happy that I even got a response, and was keen to do the interview as soon as possible. They responded back, asking me to come to the main lab location at eleven am sharp in two days. I guessed I would know them once I saw them since they didn't really specify what they would look like, and didn't tell me anything more about themselves besides their name: Emotionless_Day. I found it weird, but asking would be rude.

Before going to meet this guy, I attempted to research this person since the name format seemed familiar. After flipping through the city pamphlets again, I saw his name again. He was one of those Day operatives, who were in charge of the city. That automatically told me it was a government lab, which I always regarded as iffy, but I was already knee-deep in. From what I read, he sounded like a professional. But I still decided to go, since I needed the job.

When I arrived, I saw them waiting outside, looking down at their watch. They blankly looked at me once they noticed me, and while I thought it would go downhill from there, it didn't. I really couldn't tell in the moment, but when he emailed me back after it was over, he told me it went well. I was then hired, which I thought would change my life for the better. And for a while there, it did.

I became accustomed to showing up to the lab at the same time every other day and staying overtime with Emotionless. I learnt how similar we actually were, only he quite literally felt nothing. Other than that rather large factor, he still made a very dependable boss. I worked as his assistant, and since I was still working to get my degree, I knew things he didn't, which I assumed he liked. I never liked being shown up, but it probably wasn't an issue since he couldn't feel emotion. He seemed to be a fan of what I was schooling for, and took any chance he could to hear what I was learning about. I quickly became accustomed to having him as part of my life. I didn't see him every day since I still had school and he was a busy man, but it was nice to have someone like me to actually talk to.

It was late on a Friday, and I had decided to come in that day to see if Emotionless was still in. I figured I needed a break, and that day's lecture had happened earlier that day, so I was free. I had been in the city for much longer than I had needed to be, probably about four months more. Not too long ago, Emotionless trusted me with a spare set of keys to the back entrance in case I needed to get in. So, I let myself in. He didn't like surprise visits, but I couldn't help myself. Oh lord, was I glad I did.