Desertion (Dreadful & reader)

So this is kinda in the new lore area, but like think the rytsars don't exist yet even though the operatives were dead before them and the Gov came in. I'm just kind of doing what ever the hell I want so

"Look who's finally up." I opened my eyes in the dimly lit room. The only thing emitting light was the night sky and the many computer screens in front of me.

"I fell asleep again? Damn it. I'm sorry." I turned to my right, which is where the voice came from. Dreadful was there, my partner for tonight's watch. What we were watching for anymore I wasn't too sure, since we were told the Night Coalition wasn't a major threat anymore, but we dared to not refuse orders.

"You needed it." His golden eyes pierced me. He shifted his head, causing the red sheen to glint.

"I shouldn't get more rest than you should. If you can, rest for as long as I did. Next time, just wake me." I pushed my hair off of my sweaty forehead, turning my eyes downwards at the computer screens. Each one displayed a live feed from a camera somewhere in the city. Normally, such would be unmanageable for more than just two operatives, but thanks to the amount of times we had to move cities, we shrunk, making it more doable. In the original city, over half of the fleet was needed to patrol at night to keep it safe, but now, we needed two of us, max.

"Dreadf- sorry, I'm still getting used to not calling you that. Kostenka,* you've worked for the Union for twice as long as I have and twice as hard. In comparison to you and the others, I know nothing." I looked back at him, frowning.

(* this is not cannon, and is just a name I picked since he was of the few that received no additional lore after the reboot. Both he and Sorrowful were not given names, and Emotionless and Scary's names were withheld)

"You still deserve a break now and then. If anything, you need the break more. You've worked fast to catch up with us. Being here is draining." It felt like yesterday I was calling all of them by their full title with formalities. Technically, I still need to with some of them, but I grew close to them as they mentored me, to where they considered me more of a younger sibling than a coworker.

"Let me at least make it up to you in some way." I pleaded with him. Even if he thought I needed a break, I felt like I had to make it up to him for snoozing off on the job.

"Only if you're not going out of your way to do it." He finally agreed.

"Of course. Thank you." I agreed too, but I probably still was going to do what he asked me not to do.

We sat in silence for a little bit longer. It wasn't uncomfortable, like two people who have just met, but more like two childhood best friends who've just reunited. We looked over the cameras, seeing nothing more than the empty streets.

"What do you think we're going to do?" I suddenly said. The question had been plaguing me for ages and I trusted Dreadful the most.

"I'm honestly not sure. I heard from the Governor's Guard that not even he or the Chancellor know what the plan is." I pressed my lips into a thin line, sighing. Lately, we've had less of action and more of simply patrolling the city. We haven't even been trying to further the Union.

I could tell that everyone was itching to do something, but we didn't dare say anything. It was in our blood to serve the Union, and this was the bare minimum. When I was first told we were all created in a way to serve the Union, I almost didn't believe them. It was difficult coming to terms with it, but it made sense since I couldn't remember anything before my days serving in the Union military. I was convinced I had a family or something waiting for me, wherever that might be. Now, I knew the closest thing to family I had were my coworkers. I knew I still didn't everything, and while it ate away at me, what was I to do about it?