Gratitude (Scary x reader)

this is a thing

yeah

(Y/N) = Your name

I've lived in the Days City for as long as I could remember but I didn't like interacting with the operatives at all. They were probably more likely to shoot you than let you go on your way, which is why I tried to avoid them.

I didn't really care if I died or not, but, my cat, Ethel, needed me. Ethel was the world's fluffiest and most adorable cat who I would give anything for.

I sat at my kitchen counter, with my laptop out, no lights on. Ethel was in my lap, fast asleep. It was two am, and I was trying to work on a report for work. I lost feeling in my legs around midnight, but I couldn't move since Ethel was on my lap. I guess I didn't need legs anyways. The dim light of the computer screen illuminated me and a little bit of Ethel's pale orange fur. I sleepily blinked as I struggled to see the time and battery left on my laptop.

"I'm surprised I'm only at thirty-nine percent Ethel." I yawned and looked down at my cat. They stirred a little at the sound of my voice.

"Are you hungry? You've been sitting with me for hours now. I understand you love me, but go take care of yourself." I carefully lifted the beige colored cat off my lap and set them down on the floor. They rolled into their back, so I rolled my eyes and rubbed their belly. After they were satisfied with the pets I had given them, they sauntered off to where we kept their food, water, and litter box.

My legs had that pins and needles feeling, and I could barely see anything since my eyes hadn't adjusted to the dark, so I made my way over to my window seat. The paper blinds were a similar color to my cat, and we often sat here side by side to study the city. Before I could pull open the blinds, the entire room lit up a soft white. A clap of thunder followed. When I opened the window, it was only drizzling a little. As I watched, the drizzle became a downpour with round after round of thunder and lightning. The city was gorgeous in the rain, and I liked how everything was blurred. Ethel made their way next to me, and together we gazed out the window at the pouring rain.

I was feeling very sleepy, and was tempted to doze off right there until I saw a lone figure walking the streets. They were not surprisingly soaked and the only thing that didn't absorb water was the sleek golden horned helmet that rested on their head. Ethel kept their eyes on the figure, flickering their tail. I wanted to watch them too, but my eyelids kept fluttering shut. Every time I reopened them, they were further along the street. Just as I thought they were going to completely disappear, they paused.

As I yawned, a few loud gun shots echoed out. I jumped and looked back down to where I saw the person. A few bodies of what I could only assume were night creature littered the road and the figure remained motionless in the center. After a few moments of just standing there, they got on their knees.

"I'll be back Ethel. I should go see what's up. That's not normal." Ethel kept their eyes on the figure, letting out a slight meow when I stood up. I grabbed my steel silver raincoat and rain boots, slipping them on before stepping into the pouring rain. I winced at the amount of rain thudding down on me. The figure hadn't moved, their golden helmet reflecting the flickering street lamps gloomy glow. The rain looked gorgeous on it, I had to admit. I picked up the pace and stopped a few yards away from them.

"Hello?" I called out. The watered down black blood of the night creature filled the roads and slipped into the nearby guttered. I was surprised they were still bleeding.

"Of course a [CIVILIAN] came to my aid. Go away. I don't need your help." They groaned, keeping their back to me. The voice was deep and was considerable strong for someone who was most likely bleeding out all their blood. I moved in front of them and looked down. I wasn't willing to get done on their level.