Chapter Twenty-Nine

I feel exhausted from my own mind, from all the thoughts day and night that has consumed me. The pity stares and smiles full of sorrow made me feel like a ticking time bomb. Each person that looked at me, was just filled with sympathy. The most painful thing to happen to me had been so publicly shared that no matter how much I tried to fight to move forward, there was the reminder of it daily.

No escape. No moment of pause. Just the constant reminder of the tragedy.

The echo of my feet along the hardwood flooring as I arrived in the pack house, my feet becoming slower and softer as I heard familiar voices talking in a lower tone. Registering pretty quickly that my parents are here. Moving closer to the room they are located at.

"Honey I know its hard, but we need to tell her. This cannot stay a secret any longer" I hear my father say, his tone soft and sounding defeated. My eyebrows going together as I felt my fingers twitch to push the door further open but I stayed still to listen on, feeling myself confused.

I could hear my mother let out a harsh sigh, most likely shaking her head as she did so. I could read her body language without ever being in the same room. "But she is my child, I have to protect her. We have to" she says in a plea, her voice sounding strained like she is trying to hold it together but not doing very well at doing so. Another sigh was let out. "I know"

A pause.

The pause felt like a long one as I waited, feeling like I have to hold my breathe as I listen to a conversation that was not intended for my ears. "She needs to know the whole truth, it is going to affect her more than we ever could of thought so. She needs to for her safety." my father said with such authority it shocked me, having never heard him use that tone with anyone.

"What if she hates us for hiding it? What if she no longer looks at me as her mother?" I heard her plea. "What if-" I couldn't take the listening anymore, pushing open the door and having both their eyes snapped to look at me. My father tried to look calm but I could see the nerves, as my mother was shaking. Her bottom lip trembling as she looked at me scared.

I raised an eyebrow as they both had fallen silent, my eyes looking between the two. "What if?" I questioned. "What are you two whispering about so much that someone needs to know? I'm assuming that someone is me, but please enlighten me if I am wrong"

The guilty look that went over their features told me I was right with whom they are talking about. I'd have enough with people talking about me behind my back, or in tones they think are hushed enough. They aren't. I hear every word that has been spoke, every mumble and murmur when it comes to me and my situation.

I hear all the talks and I've had enough of being the whispered person and I don't need any secrets being hidden from me.

"What is it? What is so important that I need to know?" I pushed further, having silence fallen onto my ears. I watched as my mother pushed her hair behind her ears as she stepped closer to my father. "Celeste, darling" she started, a shake to her voice. "You know we love you, very very much and have always cared and protected you"

I frowned, my eyebrows furrowed as I watched my father put his hand on my mother's back in a reassurassing stance. The kind of stance you use when delivering bad news to someone which made the feeling in my stomach bubble.

'What's going on?' I whispered to my wolf in a nervous voice. I felt her pushing against the link before letting out a low frustrated growl. 'I don't know, they are blocking us right now'

"I don't understand what that has to do with anything, can you just tell me?" My words came out irriated even though I am trying to be calm and sane. I am trying to be level headed when thinking what could be going on, but with the way my parents are acting. Just makes me feel nervous.