Act II: Scene XIV

Bold- John singing

Bold italics- Paul singing

Bold italics underlined- both singing

Mausoleum- a building, especially a large and stately one, housing a tomb or tombs.

----------------------------------------------------

While everyone is asleep in their bunks, Paul can't rest a wink.

Quietly, he slips out of bed. He looks at George, who was guarding Paul's door but fell asleep, then leaves.

He puts on a coat and goes outside.

"Sir." He calls to a man with a horse and carriage.

"Where to?"

"The cemetery."

He gives the man some money. Before getting in the carriage, however, he notices a stand with some flowers on the other side of the ally. He decides it's best if he buys some.

While preparing the horse, an object comes down on the carriage driver's head hard, he makes a loud grunt, and falls to the ground, unconscious.

The noise was loud enough to wake George, who immediately noticed Paul's empty bed.

Paul comes back, flowers in hand, but doesn't notice that this was not the same driver.

"To my father's grave, please."

He steps into the carriage, and they start moving.

George, quickly but quietly, runs down the apartments and looks out at one of the windows.

He notices a black horse-drawn carriage with a man inside of it.

"Where have they gone?" He asks the man, who is now conscious.

"The cemetery." He replies, rubbing the bruise forming on the back of his head.

Quickly, George jumps and a white horse, and starts following them.

When they reach the cemetery, Paul gets out and starts walking through the fog, to his father's grave.

Light snowfalls, covering Paul's hair and the headstones.

George rides his steed, sword on hip, as fast as he can, trying to reach Paul before the phantom can get his clutches on him.

Fog covers the ground everywhere Paul steps.

Quietly, he starts to sing.

"You were once my companion. You were all that mattered."

"You were once a friend and father. Then my world was shattered."

Slowly, Paul walks around the snow-covered graves, trying to reach his fathers, mother, and brother's mausoleum.

"Wishing you were somehow here again. Wishing you were somehow near. Sometimes it seemed if I just dreamed, somehow you would be here."

"Wishing I could hear your voice again, knowing that I never would. Dreaming of you won't help me to do, all that I dreamed I could."

Tears escape the young man's eyes.

"Passing bells and sculpted angels, cold and monumental. Seem for you, the wrong companions. You were warm and gentle."

Paul walks past more graves with angels on them, getting closer to the mausoleum.

"Too many years, fighting back tears. Why can't the past just die?"