Chapter Eight

They both walk to my closet, opening the door wide so I can see what they're doing. I move to the end of my bed and lay on my stomach, using my hands to prop up my chin. They skim over all of my clothes and Wanda grabs a white tennis skirt with a white collared shirt to put under a dark blue New York crewneck.

She puts it all together and holds it up. "This color would look nice with her eyes."

Nat tilts her head in consideration. "Too school girl for a party."

She takes out a short and tight black dress with mesh, off the shoulder long sleeves. She holds it up and turns to us with questioning eyes. Both Wanda and I stare at it, not saying anything.

"So... what do you think?"

"I mean, I've never been to an after school party, but I'm guessing that no one dresses up that nice."

"But you would look great." She continues, pouting.

"Nat, I think it's too much."

"Fine." She hangs it back up.

Wanda continues searching through my closet. "Do you remember the last time we went shopping at the Manhattan Mall and I picked out that one dress for you?"

"Which one?" I tilt my head, trying to remember.

"Here it is!" She pulls out a simple light blue mini dress with small white flower designs. It's short sleeved and fitted, but below the waist, it's flowy and short.

"It's perfect!" I exclaim.

I get up and grab it, taking it to the bathroom. I quickly change and look at myself in the mirror, trying to mentally prepare myself for tonight. When I open the door, they both smile, before sitting me down and getting to work.

Wanda brushes my tangled hair and then begins curling it, while Nat goes through my closet, looking for accessories and picking out shoes. We listen to music and Wanda tells me to make a good impression while Nat tells me to be myself and not let anyone get to me because high schoolers can be harsh.

When Wanda finishes my hair, I touch up my mascara and reapply my lipgloss. For jewelry, I put on gold mini dangly hoops. I consider taking my tech bracelet off, but rule it out. While no one can know I am Tony Stark's daughter, I am not really Gracee Saunders, I am and will always be Gracee Stark.

I put on the white hightop vans Nat hands me and, as the final touch, she delicately clasps a necklace around my neck. Looking at it, I realize that it's her gold heart locket.

"You can keep it." She smiles.

I hug her and then they take me to my mirror. I smile, examining myself. They did a really good job. My dress shows off my figure really well and my hair falls in loose curls.

"You look-" starts Wanda.

"Hot," Nat finishes.

"I was going to say beautiful, but that works too," Wanda agrees.

They smile at me in the mirror and I turn around and hug them. "Thank you guys so much."

"Don't thank us," says Wanda.

"That's what we're here for."

"But still, thank you." I smile. "Friday, what time is it?"

"It is currently 5:59."

I run to the window to see a car pulling in. I quickly grab my purse, putting my phone in it and running to the door.

"Good luck!" yells Wanda.