Chapter Twenty-Four

"What's going on?" Happy asks as we drive away.

"What do you mean?" I ask.

"What do you mean, what do I mean? You all were acting super weird. That's normal for Peter, but you? What's going on?"

"Nothing's going on, Hap. That guy just gave me a weird vibe, that's all."

"Yeah, I felt that, too."

When we arrive at school, Happy tells me to call him when we want to be picked up and to be safe and have fun. Liz's car pulls into the parking lot right as Happy drives away. She gets out with her date and then her dad pulls away and parks on the far side of the school.

"Maybe he's just chaperoning," I say, not believing it myself.

He gets out of the car and stands with the door open, staring at Peter and I. Chills go down my spine at his unbroken gaze.

"Come on, we have to get inside. Now." I start to turn around, but Peter stops me.

"No, we have to go to him."

"Who said we have to?"

"You and I both know that there's no other choice."

I sigh, turning around, and Peter and I both start walking towards him. When we get close, he grins, and I get an even worse feeling about this.

"Hey, kids."

The way he's acting like nothing is wrong makes me angry, and I realize my plan to be calm isn't going to happen. "Hey? That's what you have to say after you realize that we were the kids you tried to kill?"

Peter steps in front of me so I can't get any closer to him. "We saw you looking at us and just thought maybe you wanted to talk?"

"Talk. Yeah, that's exactly what I wanted."

"Is there a problem?" I ask.

"Does Liz know?" he asks, ignoring me.

"Know what?" Peter pretends to be confused, but we both know what he's asking.

"So she doesn't. Good. Both of you, get in the car."

"Excuse me?"

"I don't think that's-" Peter starts.

"Get in the car," he says more sternly. "Or we are going to have even more of a problem."

Peter and I look at each other, before getting in and shutting the door behind us. I know this isn't a good idea, but I don't know what else to do.

"I've got a few secrets of my own. Nothing is more important than family. You two saved my daughters life, I could never forget something like that. So I'm going to give you one chance. Are you ready?"

Peter and I look at each other. He looks terrified, and I can only hope that I don't look as scared as him right now.

"You walk through those doors, forget any of this happened. And don't you ever, ever interfere with my business again. Because if you do, I'll kill you and everybody you love. I'll kill you dead. That's what I'll do to protect my family. Do you understand?"

Peter nods and I glare at him. It shouldn't be a privilege for someone to give you a chance to live instead of killing you.

"I just saved your life. Now, what do you say?"

"Thank you," Peter says.

"You're welcome," says Toomes, before looking at me. "And you?"

"You didn't save our lives, you just decided against killing us."