Chapter Twelve

"You followed me?"

"Well, after what happened with the guys and how you get after you use your powers, I couldn't leave you out here alone at night. I didn't want anything to bad happen to you, and if something did, Mr. Stark would kill me."

"Peter-"

"I know you can take care of yourself, but I was just really worried about you."

"Peter, it's okay! I understand. I would have done the same thing."

"Really?"

"Yeah." I smile. "Look at what I found."

I toss the orb to him and he catches it. A look of concentration comes over his face as he closely observes the orb. I watch him and can practically see the wheels in his head spinning.

"It has to be from the weapons they were using," I say, when he says nothing.

"Yeah, I think your right," he agrees. "Is it okay if I take this to school with me tomorrow? Ned and I might be able to figure out what it is during woodworks class."

"Yeah, sure. Do you think you would be able to come over after school? You know, to show me what you learn?" I try to sound as casual as possible, but still end up making him nervous.

"Yeah! I mean, sure, of course. I'll, I'll be there." His mask is covering his face, but I know that his face is red right now.

"Okay, great." I smile. "I should really be getting home before my dad gives me a bodyguard or something."

"Yeah, me too. I don't want May to worry. Do you have a way to get home?"

"No, but I'll figure something out."

"I could always take you home... if you want."

"Only if you don't mind."

"I don't mind." He smiles.

I don't scream as much this time when swings me home. He drops me off through my window to avoid Tony seeing. I don't want him to leave, but I know he has to. We say our goodbyes and then I take a shower, brush my teeth, and do my skincare and haircare.

I put on sweats and a graphic tee and then grab my current read. I'm laying on my bed, reading, when I hear a knock on my door. After a moment, Tony walks in and sits at the chair in front of my desk. I sit up and close my book, waiting for him to talk.

"Pep told me to take it easy on you," he pauses, in deep thought. "What were you thinking?"

After he asks this question, I realize how much I want to explain myself to him. Sometimes it's hard to explain how I'm feeling, but now is not one of those times.

"I was thinking that maybe for once I could use my powers to help. Do you expect me to just see an explosion and ignore it? I went to the party because I thought that maybe for once I could be normal. And I know it was wrong, but I didn't tell you because I knew you would have said no to protect me, like you have been doing my whole life!

"That's why I'm always here at the compound and when I go out, I can't even by Gracee Stark. I'm so sick of hiding, so sick of worrying that Hydra will somehow find me again. For being a genius, sometimes you can be so clueless. Hydra thinks I'm dead! And it will stay that way, even if I go outside if the compound."