Chapter Fourteen

It's a long drive to the hotel. The team runs through practice questions, while I admire how smart Peter is. I also try to meet everyone, and end up concluding that I really like all of them. Eventually, Happy calls Peter, asking him where he's going. I have to tell him that I'm going with him to DC for the academic decathlon, but I never ask him to book a hotel for me because I know that I won't be sleeping tonight. Instead, Peter and I will be trying to find the men from the night before.

When we get there, we all go to our rooms. Thankfully, no one notices me when I slip into Peter and Ned's room with them. When in the privacy of the hotel room, we all sit on the bed, and Peter decides to take the tracker out of his suit. While him and Ned try to figure out how to do it, I read the book I brought, giving them tips every now and then.

Finally, after they remove the tracker and the Training Wheel Protocol has been deactivated, Peter places the tracker on the lamp. Ned leaves the room to make sure no one is outside, and Peter and I turn away from each other, changing into our suits. He puts a jacket and sweats on over his suit and I put an oversized black blazer on over my suit.

Peter throws Ned the glowy thing, telling him to keep it safe, and Ned wishes us luck. We both slip out of the room, just as everyone comes down the hall, wearing bathing suits. They invite us to come swimming with them, acknowledging me as Peter's hot girlfriend. We say no, and that we have to study. I can tell Peter is upset that he can't go, but I try to ignore it, just like I do when Liz flirts with him.

We sneak outside, and Peter puts his clothes and my coat in his backpack. I connect my comms to his, and when he puts on his mask, a bright glow expands from the spider emblem on his chest.

"Good evening, Peter." I hear a voice come from his suit over comms.

"Hello? Hello?" Peter asks in surprise.

"Congratulations on completing the rigorous Training Wheels Protocol and gaining access to your suit's full capabilities."

"Gracee? What's going on?"

"Oh, I forgot to mention that. My dad added an AI to your suit."

"So, where would you like to take me tonight?" Suit Lady asks.

"I- I put a tracker on someone. He's a bad guy."

"Tracker located. Plotting course to intercept target."

"Okay, well, as long as I make it back in time for Decathlon, it's fine."

Peter swings from a web, while I use my powers to land on a truck. We ride on top of the truck until it turns, and we have to jump onto a different truck.

"One hundred meters from destination and closing. Jump now."

We both listen to Suit Lady and jump off of the truck. Peter rolls and then goes into a run, while I use my powers to soften my landing. I run as fast as I can, trying my best to keep up with him. We follow Suit Lady's directions and end up at an old gas station.

"Detaching three individuals," Suit Lady reports.

"Why is their secret lair in a gas station? That's so lame," Peter whispers.

"I know right." I hover in the air above him as he jumps and climbs on top of the empty gas price sign.

"Hey, Suit Lady, what are they doing?"

"Do you want to hear what they're saying?"

"I can hear what they're saying?"

"Yeah, it's called enhanced reconnaissance mode," I answer.

"Then, uh, yeah," Peter responds to Suit Lady.

"Activating Enhanced Reconnaissance Mode."

"Whoa, that's so cool," he whispers to himself.