Chapter Twenty

The next morning, I'm woken up by May. I open my eyes and it takes me a second to realize that my head is laying on Peter's chest. I sit up and my face burns when I see that May is smiling at us. Peter wakes up after I move away from him and smiles at me, his eyes barely open. When he realizes how close we are, he sits up quickly, his brown eyes wide. He looks adorable with his messy hair and I force myself to look away.

We say good morning awkwardly and then I walk to the bathroom. When I'm done in the bathroom, I say bye to Peter and then May drops me off at the compound. The car ride with her isn't awkward, and we have a good conversation. I thank her multiple times before leaving the car. When I walk into the compound, my dad is already waiting for me. I sigh, knowing F.R.I.D.A.Y alerted him about May's car pulling in.

"Where were you?"

"At Peter's."

"Are you serious?"

"Dad, my phone was dead and I couldn't call Happy to pick me up."

"What about your tech bracelet?"

"You took it."

"His attractive aunt could have called you an Uber."

"I'm going to pretend you didn't say that."

"I'm serious."

"You want me to get into an Uber in the middle of the night? Do you want me to get kidnapped?"

"If I wanted you to risk your life I wouldn't be doing this. No suit. No phone. And no Friday."

"No Friday?"

"You heard me."

"That's cold."

"Warmer than the lake you got dropped into."

"True."

"You're going to apologize to your mother, go to Bruce and have him check out your injury, and then finish your school work."

"Okay. I'm sorry."

"Don't apologize, just get it done." He turns to walk away, but then looks back at me. "I love you infinity."

I sigh, feeling much better knowing that he's not still mad at me. I wish I didn't care so much how people feel about me, but I hate when people are mad at me. Especially my dad.

"And beyond." I smile.

I walk to Peppers office silently, hoping I don't run into anyone on the way because I am not in the mood to explain everything. Pepper is on her computer when I walk into her office.

"Hey, Mom."

"Hey, sweetheart."

"I'm really sorry. I shouldn't have lied to you."

"It's okay." She stands up and wraps her arms around me. "We all make mistakes. I love you."

"I love you more."

"Impossible." She smiles.

I feel much better after apologizing to Pepper. I tell her what happened and then leave her office, finding everyone separately and explaining everything to each of them. After I talk to Bruce, he takes care of my injury and then gives me my school work. I take it to my room and complete all of my work by the end of the day.

I take a shower and read in my hanging chair until I'm hungry for dinner. We aren't having dinner together tonight, so everyone ordered food from different restaurants. Wanda and Pietro ordered Olive Garden and invited me to eat with them. I'd been craving it, so of course I joined them.