Chapter Twenty-Six

When we arrive at the Warehouse, we park the car and run to the entrance. We walk in to see Toomes in his Vulture suit.

"Hey!" Peter yells.

"Surprised to see us?" I ask.

"Hey, Pete, Stark. I didn't hear you all come in."

"It's over. We got you," says Peter.

"You know what, I gotta tell you, Peter. I really, really admire your grit."

"How are you doing this to Liz?"

"To Liz? I'm not doing anything to her, Pete. I'm doing this for her."

"You're just saying that so you can feel better about yourself," I say.

"You kids are young. You don't understand how the world works."

"But we understand that selling weapons to criminals is wrong," Peter says.

"How do you think your buddy Stark paid for that tower? Or any of his little toys," he asks Peter.

"Oh, you wish you had those toys," I say.

"See?" Toomes says to Peter. "She grew up with everything she could ever want. She never had to worry about anything. Those people, Pete, those people up there... the rich and the powerful, they do whatever they want. Guys like us, you and me... they don't care about us.

"We build their roads, and we fight all of their wars, and everything, but they don't care about us. We have to pick up after them. We have to eat their table scraps. That's how it is. I know you know what I'm talking about, Peter."

"Why are you telling me this?" he asks.

"Because I need you to understand. And... I needed a little more time to get her airborne."

Just then, his wings shoot through the wall, coming right towards us. Peter and I both dodge it by do a backflip over it.

"Finally! You were talking to much. I was starting to get bored," I say.

The wings shoot around the room, and we continue dodging them. I use my powers to move them away from us a few times when they get to close.

"This is too easy," I yell. "You'd think after all that talk you'd have a better plan."

"Yeah, that thing hasn't even touched us yet!" Peter yells.

"True... then again... wasn't really trying to."

The wings go around us, cutting through each of the pillars holding up the ceiling. Before I have time to think, the ceiling collapses. Peter shoves me out of the way and I fall onto the concrete ground. The sound of the roof impacting the ground causes my hearing to become static, and my sight is clouded from the dust. I take a moment to regain my senses and then slowly turn my head to see all of the debris on the ground and the dust hanging in the air.

Because of my initial shock, I could not feel the rock that landed on my leg. I scream as the pain kicks in and kick it off of my leg with my other foot. I attempt to stand up and limp to the pile of debris, desperately searching for any sign of Peter.

"Peter!" I yell over and over again, until his name comes out in a hysterical sob.

"He's gone," Toomes says from behind me.

"He's not gone! He can't be..."

I try to use my powers to lift the rubble, but my attempt is unsuccessful. I'm too weak and too emotionally destroyed to concentrate enough on my powers.