Chapter Twenty-Two

Happy drops me off a block away from Delmars, so no one will be suspicious of me being dropped of at a tiny deli in a limo. By the time I walk there, Peter is waiting by the door.

"Hey, Parker."

"Hey, Stark. Uh, I mean, Saunders."

Peter throws glances everywhere to make sure no one heard, and I laugh. It's funny to me that he's so worried about it.

"It's okay, Pete. I can't be the only one in the world with the last name Stark."

"I know, but you can't be careful enough."

"True."

"You- you look really pretty."

"Thank you." I blush, and he opens the door for me.

"Hey, Mr. Delmar," we both say as we walk in.

"Hey, Peter. Hey, Gracee." He smiles.

"How often do you go here?" Peter asks me.

"Every once in a while."

"Didn't think a small deli like this would be a place for a Stark."

"That's kind of the point."

"Makes sense."

I walk over to the cat sleeping on the counter and pick him up. "Hey, Murph."

Peter walks over to me and shakes his head, laughing under his breath. He smiles at me and then pets Murphy's head, too.

"Peter and Gracee, you all both like the number five, right?" asks Mr. Delmar.

"Yeah, with pickles and smushed down real flat," Peter says.

"Gracee, do you like pickles?"

"Yeah, no, not really my thing."

"You're crazy," Peter shakes his head, walking to the counter.

"I guess you won't need my daughter now that you have this beautiful young lady," Mr. Delmar says in Spanish.

"She's just a friend," Peter replies in Spanish as I sit Murphy down and walk over to them.

"I can speak Spanish, too, boys," I say, continuing the conversation in the same language.

"She's perfect for you," Mr. Delmar says to Peter.

"Even if he did have a thing for me, he's too shy to say so," I say.

"Okay, you guys lost me," Peter says in English, laughing.

"That stays between her and me." Mr. Delmar winks at me as I smile, amused by Peter's confusion.

Mr. Delmar gives us our sandwiches and we tell him bye, walking out. Peter takes me into an alleyway and changes into his suit, before swinging us up to a rooftop. We walk to the edge and sit, looking down at the road, while eating our sandwiches.

"What were you and Mr. Delmar talking about?" Peter asks, his mask pulled up above his mouth so he can eat.

"That's none of your business, Parker," I say teasingly.

"Fair enough."

After we finish our sandwiches, he pulls his mask back down. I'm excited to swing with him because I love the feeling it gives me, but I still have to mentally prepare myself. I hold onto him tightly, before he jumps off of the building and swings through the city.

"Where are you taking me?" I yell over the wind.

"Do you remember when we lied and told your dad that you went to the bookstore after checking on me when I was sick?"

"Correction, you lied and told him that."

"That's besides the point. I wasn't lying about the bookstore. There really is a bookstore by my house, and I thought it could be fun if I took you there."

"Aww, Peter, that's so SWEET," I yell the last word as we fall towards the ground, but last second, he shoots another web on a building.

When we make it to the bookstore, I fix up my hair so I don't look like I just swung through the city with Spider-Man, and then we walk in. My eyes go wide at how many books there are, and I drag Peter around the whole store.

I search through romances, mysteries, fantasies, and young adult fictions. I love seeing other books in the store that I've read, and every time I see one that I love, I tell Peter all about it. I find a lot of books that I want, but decide on five books. Peter and I carry all of my books to the desk that a sweet old lady is sitting behind. We sit them down and then I pull out a my wallet.

"Gracee, I'll buy them," Peter says.

"That's not happening."

"But-"

"Peter, my dad is a billionaire. I can by a few books," I whisper.

"Okay, fine. But I'm buying one of them."

After we leave with a cute tote bag full of books, we walk to a nearby park. It feels so nice outside and I'm enjoying the breeze.

"What are we doing here?" I ask him.

"Well, I thought we could read together."

"You like to read?!"

"I love to read."

That is the most attractive thing ever.

"That's... wow. That's amazing. You're amazing."

"So are you." He smiles.

"Which one do you want to read?"

"You choose."

"Okay, let's read Love and Other Words. It sounds cute."

We sit together on the a bench and read. It might seem boring, but to me it is the most romantic thing ever. I haven't noticed how long we've been here, until the sun starts to go down. We finish the chapter we're on and then put the book back in the tote bag. We stand up off of the park bench and then he swings me home to the compound.

"Thanks, Pete. Today was so much fun." I say, standing in one of the doorways.

"You're welcome. Thanks for... hanging out with me."

"Anytime." I smile.

I turn to walk through the doors, but he grabs my hand. I turn around, facing him, and notice that his cheeks are burning.

"I actually wanted to ask you something. Well, I mean, it's- it's totally okay if you say no, but I- I was wondering if you.."

"Yes."

"Yes? But- but I didn't even ask you."

"Oh, I'm sorry. I- I heard it in your head. Ask me out loud."

"Will you go to homecoming with me?"

"Yes."

"Really? I mean, uh, great, cool." Peter's smile has never been as cute as it is in this moment.

"Cool," I repeat, smiling.

"Well, I should go get ready. See you tonight?"

"Yeah, see you tonight. Bye, Peter."

"Bye, Gracee."

I step on my tiptoes and kiss him on his cheek. I see his eyes go wide and his face turn even more red before I turn around and run inside.