Stranger? (2)

"Dude, you're seriously down bad," Alex said with a laugh.

"I know, I know!" Zak groaned, leaning back in his chair. He was getting a little obsessive- but whatever, it's not like he'd been having trouble focusing during recordings, or like he'd commissioned an artist to draw a picture of the stranger so he had something to stare at for hours on end, or like all of his dreams had involved the stranger protecting him and/or kissing him.

...Yeah, he totally hadn't done any of those things. Right.

"You haven't even met the guy, and you're acting like a teenage girl thirsting over a fictional character!"

"I have met him!" Zak protested. "Well- sort of..."

"Oh yeah? What's his name?" The triumphant, teasing smirk was obvious in Alex's voice.

Zak's silence was all the response necessary. "He could be a serial killer for all you know — and given the gun and the knives, he probably is," Alex continued.

"I know- I know," Zak said again, head in his hands. "I just- even if he does turn out to be a horrible person, or that every part of him except his eyes is deformed or something, he still saved my life. I owe him, y'know?"

"That doesn't mean you have to think about him every second," Alex said with a slight scoff. "Look, dude. You'll probably never see him again. Just move on, all right?"

"Well, I mean..." Zak began to fidget. "There is a way I might be able to see him."

"What?" Alex paused. "Skeppy- I swear, if you're planning on doing something stupid-"

"Hear me out!" Zak interrupted. "I could get in danger on purpose."

"Oh my god- I knew it. I fucking knew it. Skeppy, seriously, man, you nearly died last time! What if he doesn't show up? You could actually die!"

"I- I know- I just- I'm kinda desperate," Zak admitted.

"Yeah, obviously. I'm serious, get out of your lovestruck head and think about this for two seconds. There is literally no way that would go well," Alex insisted.

Zak let out a defeated hum, then perked up at the sound of the front door opening. "Bad's home, I gotta go. Bye, Quackity!"

"Wait, Skeppy, promise me you won't-" Alex was cut off by the call ending. Zak stood up and went to greet Darryl; he had some doubts about his idea thanks to Alex, but his mind was still made up.

——

Zak bit his lip as he climbed out of bed. It had been a while since he and Darryl had gone to bed, so Darryl was almost certainly asleep. He slid his shoes on and went over to the window, opening it and climbing out as best he could. Since his room was on the first floor, it was rather easy.

The boy let out a slightly relieved sigh as his feet hit the grass. He'd successfully left the house; now he just had to walk to the dangerous part of town.

It took a good while for him to arrive, but soon he was walking along the streets, nervously peeking down every alleyway. Even though the point of this was for him to get in a situation where he needed rescuing, he was still afraid.

After a bit more walking, he spotted a group of people in the middle of the sidewalk, talking in low voices. Zak slipped into an alley a little ways away, his head peeking out so he could see them as he tried to listen to their conversation. They were talking fairly quietly, so he could only catch the occasional word or two. All the same, he decided he might as well stay where he was, since he couldn't keep walking until they left.