Rain

Zak sat with his eyes closed, feeling the water pour down his face. He hated thunder, but there was something about the rain itself that was just so peaceful. Once you stopped thinking about how cold it was, all you felt was calm.

He tilted his head upward, smiling slightly. He inhaled and allowed the fresh air to fill his lungs.

There were sudden footsteps behind him, paired with the patter of raindrops on an umbrella. "Zak? What are you doing out here? You'll catch a cold!" Darryl asked.

Without turning around or opening his eyes, Zak said, "Come sit with me."

"What? No! Come inside, you muffin!" Darryl insisted.

"Please?" Zak turned around, giving Darryl puppy dog eyes.

Darryl sighed resignedly and sat on the bench next to him, holding the umbrella above both their heads.

"Put the umbrella down," Zak requested.

"No! Then we'll both get sick!" Darryl protested.

"C'mon, please, Darryl? I won't ask for anything else, I promise; just put the umbrella down."

Darryl sighed again and closed the umbrella, resting it against the bench. His glasses quickly became blurry from the raindrops. He shivered as his brown hair became drenched. "Why are you out here? Aren't you cold?"

Zak shrugged. "Not really," he responded. "Once you stop thinking about it, it's not actually that bad."

Zak closed his eyes again, focusing his attention back on the rain. Everything about it was hypnotizing. It was cool, steady, and gentle. It made him want to go to sleep. Darryl's warmth next to him didn't help with that. Fairly quickly, he found his mind shutting down as he leaned his head on Darryl's shoulder.

Darryl tensed for a moment, face flushing. He looked down at the sleeping boy and smiled. He had to admit, Zak was adorable when he was asleep. He was tempted to continue sitting there, but he knew it wouldn't be good for him to stay out in the cold much longer. He picked up Zak bridal style and carried the drenched boy back inside.

——

Thank you guys so much for 5k reads, I meant to say something at the end of the last part but I forgot ¯\_(ツ)_/¯