Tied

Requested by StillNotThere

"Ughhhhh, we've been waiting here forever!" Zak complained.

Vincent sighed. "It's been five minutes."

Zak groaned. "That's so long! How much longer do we have to sit here?"

Vincent checked the time on his phone. "It should just be a few more minutes until the plane lands, then accounting for the time it takes for the plane to get positioned and for everyone to get off, probably at least ten minutes. Could be more."

Zak groaned again. He turned his attention to the red string tied around his finger, fiddling with it. He sighed softly, wondering what kind of person was on the other end of it. He'd started trying to follow the string a few times previously, but it was so long that he wondered if he'd ever find them.

His thoughts were brought away by his phone chiming. He pulled it out of his pocket and was delighted to see a text from Darryl.

"Landed!" it said. "Be out soon :D"

"Finally! He's landed!" Zak announced excitedly, jumping to his feet.

"Good," Vincent responded, also standing up.

The two headed over to the area where Darryl would be soon. As people gradually began trickling out, Zak scanned the crowd for the familiar brown-haired man.

A minute passed with no sign of Darryl. Vincent turned his attention to his phone, intending to text him. Zak continued looking at the people around, searching.

Suddenly, a tug brought Zak's focus downward. To his astonishment, the red string attached to his finger had gone taut, meaning his soulmate was nearby. His eyes followed the thread's path, all the way to the person on the other end.

His jaw dropped.

Darryl was staring back at him from the gate, his hand and Zak's connected by their string.

After taking a moment to recover from the shock, Zak ran over to Darryl, leaving his suitcase next to a very confused Vincent.

A smile broke out on Darryl's face and he held his arms out as Zak neared him. Zak leaped into them, wrapping his arms around Darryl's neck. The taller man picked him up and spun around, laughing happily.

Zak joined him in his laughter as he was placed down on the ground. He kept one hand on the back of Darryl's neck, the fingers of his other hand intertwining with Darryl's. He opened his eyes, smiling up at his soulmate. "Are you okay with this?" he asked.

"Of course I am, you muffin!" Darryl exclaimed.

"Skeppy! I know you're excited, but you don't gotta-" Vincent stopped short at the sight of the pair.

"a6d! Hi!" Darryl greeted, pulling away from Zak but leaving their fingers intertwined.

Vincent eyed their hands for a moment, then gave a knowing smirk. "Okay, lovebirds, we need to go. Here's your suitcase, Skeppy," he said, holding the bag's handle out to Zak.

Zak took the suitcase from Vincent. As the Frenchman walked away, Darryl squeezed Zak's hand gently, prompting Zak to look up at him. The two soulmates smiled at each other before following, hand in hand.