Pocky

Requested by shbshzbzj

Darryl hummed happily as he munched at a stick of pocky. He'd spotted some at the store recently, and he'd thought it sounded good, so of course he'd picked up a box to try.

"Oh, hey, is that pocky?" Zak asked upon entering the room.

Darryl nodded. "Mhm! You want some?" he asked, holding out the box.

Zak pulled out a stick, then looked at it for a moment. "..How about we play the pocky game?"

"The pocky game?" Darryl repeated, tilting his head slightly. "What's that?"

"You haven't heard of it?" Zak's mischievous smile grew as he sat down on the couch next to Darryl. "We both start eating the same stick from different ends, and the first one to pull away loses!"

"Huh.." Darryl's eyes widened. "Wait- so if neither of us pulls away, then we'll-" He blushed.

Zak giggled. "Yup, that's the whole fun of it! So, c'mon, you in?"

Darryl hesitated for a moment, then nodded and took the other end of Zak's pocky stick, turning to face the other boy.

Each of them put their end into their mouth. Their eyes met. Zak had a fierce, determined look in his eye, contrary to Darryl's obvious nervousness. Darryl had a feeling Zak wouldn't pull away.

Well, Darryl didn't plan on pulling away either. He'd lost numerous bets against Zak; he wasn't going to lose this one too. Besides, who cared if their lips met for a half second? They could just laugh it off, tease each other a bit, and then forget it ever happened.

Slowly, they began to inch forward. The closer their faces got, the more nervous Darryl became. As his mouth crossed the line between the chocolate and the plain stick, he shut his eyes. He wouldn't pull away, he was too determined. Any second now, he expected to hear Zak's voice admitting defeat.

Then their lips met.

Almost immediately, Darryl felt Zak soften against him. He could taste the remnants of the pocky on Zak's lips. Tentatively, his tongue darted out to claim a little bit of the chocolate left between them. His eyes shot open when Zak responded with a desperate whine.

Zak pulled away suddenly, his shocked and embarrassed expression matching Darryl's. "I- um-" He lifted his hoodie to hide his red cheeks. "Y-you- I thought you would pull away-"

Darryl sucked in a nervous breath at Zak's reaction. Was he upset? "I- I thought you were going to.."

Darryl slowly lifted his eyes to look at Zak. The younger was still hiding his face. Darryl couldn't read his reaction; he had no idea if he'd actually liked it, or if the sound he'd let out had been completely involuntary and wasn't an indication of how he really felt.

"We should.. talk," Darryl said after a few moments of silence.

Zak's eyes finally met Darryl's, and the taller boy's heart skipped a beat. Zak was so cute. Darryl was struck with a sudden urge to pull him in and kiss him a second time.

Not yet, he reminded himself. They would discuss things, and if Zak was okay with it, then he'd kiss him again.

Zak pulled his hoodie away from his face and nodded. "Yeah- yeah, we should."

They were silent for a few more seconds, each waiting for the other to speak up. "I'm sorry for suggesting that.." Zak finally said.

"No, it's okay, I didn't mind," Darryl assured.

Zak looked at him silently, clearly hoping he would continue. Darryl swallowed. "I- well- by that I mean-" He sighed and gave up. "I liked it."

Zak let out a short gasp. Darryl ignored it and kept talking, allowing himself to pour out his heart. "I liked how you felt- your lips are really soft, and you made a really nice noise- and- and I think you're really cute, and I'd like to do that again. If you're okay with it."

Zak's face had grown more and more red as Darryl spoke. He nodded quickly. "Yes- yes, I want that," he mumbled and released his hoodie.

Darryl smiled and held out his hand, cupping Zak's face. Zak leaned into the touch, looking up with desperate eyes. Darryl leaned in and pressed their lips together for the second time.

And this time, neither pulled away.