Campsite Cuddles

Requested by Skejji

Darryl gripped onto one of the nearby trees, panting. "Why is this hill so steep?" he asked no one in particular.

"I know, right?" Zak agreed, also breathing heavily. "We're almost at the top, though, so we won't have to do this for much longer."

"I really hope it's as good a camping site as people said." Darryl cautiously looked down the hill behind him. "And I'm definitely not looking forward to going back down again."

"Yeah, me neither," Zak said, adjusting his heavy backpack so it sat more on his hips and less on his shoulders.

Zak took a swig of his water and stepped out onto the path, reaching for a tree about a foot away from him. He couldn't quite reach it, so he let go of the one he was currently gripping and lunged for it.

Before he could grab it, gravity decided to intervene, and Zak toppled downward.

"ZAK!" Darryl shouted, clinging to his tree and using his body to block Zak from continuing to fall.

Zak slammed directly into Darryl's chest, but luckily Darryl dug his feet into the ground and managed to stay upright. "Zak! Oh my goodness, are you okay?"

"Yeah just-" Zak looked up at Darryl and turned red as he realized how close they were. "A... a little.. shaken..."

Darryl also blushed as he realized their positions. "U-um."

Zak chuckled nervously and pulled himself off Darryl using one of the nearby trees. Neither spoke on the way up out of sheer embarrassment.

Finally, they reached the campsite, and they both took off their packs immediately, glad to be free from the weight.

"Oh my goodness, remind me why we decided to go backpacking instead of just camping?" Darryl plopped down on a rock, out of breath.

"I don't know, dude." Zak sat down next to Darryl. He stared out at the view below. "Wow..." he sighed, in awe.

The two sat together for some time before deciding to set up their tent. They only brought one, since they could share it easily and it meant they didn't have to carry as much. It took some time for them to work out how it fit together, but eventually they managed to set it up. The two then ate their dinner and headed to bed.

"No.. c'mon, it's gotta be here somewhere..." Darryl muttered, looking through his backpack.

"What's up?" Zak asked.

"Ah... I think I left my blanket at home."

"Oh, you can use mine!" Zak offered, holding it out to Darryl.

"No, you don't have to do that! I wouldn't want you to get cold just 'cause I forgot something," Darryl protested.

"I'll be fine. Take it," Zak insisted.

Darryl gave in and took the blanket. It helped with the cold quite a bit, but he was still rather chilly. On the other side of the tent, Zak was shivering, even colder than Darryl from the lack of a blanket.

Darryl noticed this and scooted himself across the tent, pressing his body against Zak's and putting the blanket over both of them. Zak tensed in surprise, but quickly relaxed. He felt much warmer than before, plus he couldn't deny how nice it felt to have Darryl spooning him. Comfortable, the two quickly drifted off to sleep.