Chapter 104 - Gozuki and Mezuki

I settle down and get comfortable. Although I'm ready to interrupt the fight at any time should the need arise, I'm choosing to be confident in the Daimyo Dragons methods. Valena and the others have already organized themselves, having relocated into the arena that was prepared for this. 

Although I'm a bit worried for the one acting as Peony's guard, seeing as his shield was apparently destroyed during the fight with the abominations. He's currently using a buckler, probably meant for defense against humanoid enemies. 

Seeming to sense this, the two Eastern Spirits significantly soften their attacks should they go in his direction. This is a spar. Although the sense of life and death hanging in the balance should improve their efforts towards defeating the monster, the goal isn't to kill.

Out of curiosity, I take a look at the descriptions of the Gozuki and Mezuki. 

*Gozuki*
*A Rare Eastern Spirit with a cruel streak. Expertly swings a great-hammer the same size as it with little effort. It's strength is such that one blow from a Gozuki could kill a Catoblepas on the spot. Even though it's able to kill most Hunters in one swing, its sadistic nature leaves it to aim specifically to cripple before crushing its victims limbs one by one. 
The first Gozuki was reportedly sighted after a retreating army, not wanting to give their pursuers the opportunity to take resources from the village they passed through, slaughtered every living thing in that village and set fire to it and the surrounding farmlands. Apparently, several Gozuki were seen emerging from the roaring flames, completely unaffected by the heat. The newly born monsters then laid waste to the army that had sacked the village before waiting around for the approaching enemy army. 
The main theory for the Gozuki's appearance is that it is the amalgamation of the dead villagers and the slain Bihorners, joined together after death in order to exact revenge on their killers. 
The Gozuki's great-hammer is far too big and heavy for any humanoid to wield, and is most often simply scavenged for materials. Other than the hammer, the Gozuki's great golden horns, as well as its bones and sinew make for excellent parts, provided one is actually able to take one down.*
*Rank: 6 Stars*

*Mezuki*
*A Rare Eastern Spirit with a lust for blood. Wields a pair of serrated sabers with frightening speed and finesse. Although it isn't able to see anything that's behind it, if it hears something, it won't hesitate to buck its hind legs to deliver a kick that can shatter boulders. It strikes with precision, aiming for joints and tendons to incapacitate its prey before taking its time with the kill, slowly adding more and more jagged wounds until the victim bleeds out. 
The first Mezuki was reportedly sighted by an invading army, having followed the defeated defenders in order to finish them off, coming across a burnt out village. In the charred fields surrounding the village, they encountered Gozuki who were relentlessly pummeling the corpses of the defending army into piles of viscera. If the corpse was that of a mounted soldier, the viscera would reform, turning into Mezuki. Seemingly possessed with hatred of the invading army, the Mezuki attacked them, leaving only those that managed to run faster than the others.
It's theorized that when the Gozuki killed the cavalry, they mashed together the bodies of the soldier and their Hornhest mount, creating the Hornhest-headed Mezuki. As punishment for the act of sacking the village, they were cursed to be reborn as a monster.
Great care should be taken when handling the Paired Swords of a Mezuki, as even a graze from their edges leave jagged cuts in the skin. Due to how they ruin the skin and meat of the monsters they are used against, most just scavenge them for materials instead of using them as is. Other than the Paired Swords, the Mezuki's curved silver horn, as well as its teeth and hair are great parts, provided one is actually able to take one down.*
*Rank: 6 Stars*