Chapter 122 - Forging Companionship

"I see..." Fig mutters as she finishes writing down my description of the Manananggal. "Invulnerable when separated..." She gives me a questioning look. "Even though it was easily destroyed?"

"Well, this is the description of the Manananggal from my World. There will be inconsistencies between it and the one the Malice created. Most likely, the 'splitting' is accomplished with the Body Double Skill, which would also explain why there is several days between attacks even if there's two clouded nights in a row." I explain. 

"The monster would need to recover its loss in mass between attacks..." Mina deduces. "It would also mean that it's likely one individual sending its Body Double to probe defences. Learning with each encounter..." She trails off, no doubt fascinated by the abilities of the enemy.

"So only way we'll defeat it for good is if we track down the 'real' body... Do you have any ideas as to how we would do that?" Fig turns to me, a hopeful look in her eyes. 

"There's a link of Magic between the two bodies. By tracing that, one can easily find the original body." I suggest, only to be met with a hopeless glance between Fig and Mina. 

"I'm afraid that's something only you, the Great Monarch, would be able to do. We simply have no way to perceive such things ourselves..." Fig sighs. 

That's right... My ability to sense the ebb and flow of Magic isn't even rooted in a Skill. It's simply a side-effect of my body being incomplete. An incredibly handy side-effect, but not something I could recreate in a tool for others to use. 

*"I suppose we should move up the date of us creating a Weapon to bypass our Power Osmosis... With that, it should be safer for us to face something made from Malice."*

A flicker in my field of view alerts me that Laplace's Demon is speaking to me again.

[A properly forged weapon makes a simple base with infinite potential.]

[A warped weapon is prone to shatter.]

Ah- I see... I put a hand to my chin in thought. Mina gives me a worried look. 

"I know what you're thinking, Millibelle, but we can't ask for your help this time. If we lost you..." Her voice falters, the pulsing flicker of her hair quickening in response to her agitation. 

"I know, but how many people will be killed in the search for the Manananggal? I would be of great help, even if only in the role of support." I insist. "It will keep attacking until the main body is killed, the more time spent delaying or searching for it is more time it can spend learning how to fight humanoids better." 

Mina gives Fig a pleading look. In return, Fig looks down at her feet and says: "I agree with Millibelle. Besides, the more times it uses the Body Double Skill, the higher the chance of it ranking up is. The only reason it dies so easily at the moment is because the Double only has one fourth of the originals HP." 

The Pyrean woman heaves a sigh. "Very well. But this isn't something for us to decide alone, even if we probably couldn't stop you from interfering anyway. We should inform the Guild Master of this plan. He's the one ultimately responsible for putting together a team to hunt this thing."

"It'll take a while before I'm free to do so, however..." Mina looks to Fig, a ponderous look to her. "I'll just have to write a letter to him. If you could deliver it to him?" She turns to me. 

I swallow my desire to ask why Fig can't help, for I sense some untold story between her and the Guild. "Just write that letter, and I'll deliver it." I nod. 

"Thank you, let me get right on writing that letter then." Mina smiles, showing off her shark-like teeth.