Chapter 123 - Gathering Shadows

"Seems like we're all here." Alrond, a gruff-looking human announces as he scans the five others gathered around him outside the city gate. Readjusting his scabbards, each holding a curved sword, he continues. 

"I'm glad you were all willing to join in on this subjugation. The target is unknown and its capabilities poorly understood." A pause, to gauge the reactions of the five other hunters. Although I sense some worries in each of them, none seem willing to admit to them in front of the others.

"Luckily, the Guild Master managed to recruit an exceptionally skilled Scoutmaster. She will be the one tracking the monster and providing support Magic once the fighting starts." Alrond gestures towards me. 

Although most Hunters are well versed in tracking monsters, sometimes a monster proves too elusive, and a Scoutmaster is called in to help. They are Hunters in their own right, but specialize in tracking, and keeping track of, monsters. Most of them are aided by their own companion monster, some even employing a whole pack of them to seek out prey.

Since it would create too much of an uproar to announce that the Great Monarch herself would be aiding in this subjugation, a cover story of me being a Scoutmaster was created. 

"Time is of the essence. We ride to Reigeil today, spend the night there, and set out for the Illomen tomorrow." Alrond announces. Each of us are handed the reins to a Hornhest, and without further ado, we're off.

There weren't any events of note on the way to Reigeil. Most of the hunters joining were more interested in getting there sooner rather than later. Being mostly local hunters, it makes sense, they most likely have relatives or friends in Reigeil who they want to protect.

The evening was spent quietly, eating at the only inn in town before taking an early night. I can't settle, however, as the overcast skies are making me anxious. 

In an effort to soothe my nerves, I decide to ask around a bit, mainly the town guard, about the Manananggal. 

"That monster... It last appeared four nights ago. Almost got Roy, hadn't he managed to pierce it with his spear." The guard on duty shivers as he recounts the attack. 

Four days... 
I cast a nervous gaze towards the sky. The once light smattering of clouds have congealed and amassed into an ever thickening stormfront. Even if the Manananggal might not be a threat to me, I can't help but feel nervous. 

*"This premonition of doom... I doubt it's related entirely to the Manananggal. Something bad is happening soon, I feel it."*

Both the guard and I startle when a flash of light pierces the gloomy dusk. A few moments later, the primordial rumble of thunder reaches us. 

"This is an omen... Mother protect us all..." The guard starts muttering prayers, shivering all the while. 

Indeed, it's odd. It should be much too cold for a thunderstorm to form. 

Another flash of light briefly illuminates the dark. However, I notice a small form in the distance as it does so. Using all my sight enhancing Skills, I take a better look at the shadow. It's small, its silhouette reminiscent of a wyvern, yet there's something odd about the way it moves. 

*"That's the Manananggal!"*

Convenient... I swallow the urge to confront it directly by myself. I made a promise, after all. Instead, I rush for the inn where the other hunters are gathered. 

"Hurry! Our prey draws near!" I shout as I rush into the second floor, waking more than just the hunters in the process. Bleary-eyed and barely dressed, all the patrons of the inn who were in bed at the time are peeking outside their doors, annoyedly glaring at me. 

"Are you sure?" One hunter stifles a yawn as they continue standing on one leg to fit the other into their pants. "How do you know?" They ask, their answer being given as the town bell starts tolling. A monster has been sighted. 

The questioning hunter gives me a curt look as they finish getting dressed with more urgency. Alrond, his greying hair dishevelled, quickly takes charge as the most senior hunter among us. 

"What is your plan?" He whispers to me. 

"To ensnare and restrain it. As long as we keep the Body Double alive, I can track the location of the real body. If we kill the double, I'll only have a general idea of the true one's location." I reply in a hushed tone. 

Alrond gives a grim nod. "I cannot guarantee anything. Our safety is of the outmost importance. The moment we engage, start tracking just in case." He steels himself before turning to the now ready hunters.

"From what the Scoutmaster tells me, this is most likely not the real monster. It's using a Skill to allow it to attack remotely whilst its true body remains safe. Our goal is thus to capture this Body Double and use it to locate the real one." A worried murmur goes through the others.

Capturing a monster is always more dangerous than simply killing it. Managing to sedate the monster is an achievement in itself, and due to the weird physiology of monsters, it could wake up at any time. Powerful restraints only add to the difficulty of transporting the captured monster as well. 

"No whining! This town is counting on us managing to defeat this monster!" Alrond shouts before leaving, the pep talk over. 

As we rush to the town wall, it begins to rain. The thunderstorm has reached us, it seems. Soon enough, the ground is slick with rain unable to penetrate the frozen soil. A gathering of guards tells us from which direction the Manananggal is coming. 

With practiced efficiency, the hunters get into formation. I take the backmost position whilst paying attention to both the incoming Manananggal and the hunters who'd best benefit my Bolstering. 

A flash of lightning rips through the darkness, illuminating the looming shadow of the monster against the briefly lit sky. Through my Telepathy, I sense the growing anxiety within the other hunters as they see the monster, and how almost human it looks. 

"Steel your hearts! It only looks human!" I shout, noting which of the hunters regain their resolve and which don't. The ones still hesitating will need more protection in case they falter at a critical moment. 

The Manananggal hovers before us for but a moment, no doubt gauging which of us to focus on first. It's already outnumbered, yet it shows no hesitation. It matters not if it is felled here. It can just try again once it's recovered. 

A shriek builds in its throat, tongue flailing wildly as it throws itself towards a hunter wielding a bow.