Chapter 44 - False Town

Once I'm done with the beds, Delpha and I start making our way to the marsh. I could have just used telepathy to ask the Dragonewt, but visiting the village would also give me a chance to see if there was anything they needed.

Delpha walks alongside me for the first part of the trip, but soon fatigue overtakes her, and she ends up riding on my back the rest of the way. She's slightly perturbed by the Gasts, as I detour slightly to check on them. 

Due to their Skills, as long as they don't move, their SP doesn't decrease, and as long as I'm not giving them any orders, or they're not being attacked by anything, they'll not move. It's a sad existence, but I'm not quite ready to end them just because. 

Besides, what would the others think? 'Oh they're not doing anything or being useful so I killed them' wouldn't sit well with anyone if they heard their Master say that. No, better to just let them sit there... 

I push the thoughts to the back of my mind as the Lizardman village comes into view. It's gotten a few more buildings since I last was here, all in the same style of 'roughly house-shaped piles of floatsam'. 

A shadow leaps from behind one of the buildings to right in front of me, splashing stinky, murky water everywhere as they land. Using Control: Water, I shield myself and Delpha from the deluge. 

"Master! What do I owe the honor of your visit?" The Dragonewt makes a show out of bowing as deep as he can without falling onto his face. "I've come to ask you if you'd like to join me in a quest. There's a Dungeon to the south of my Lair, I wish it destroyed." I inform him, trying my best to not let my tone betray my amusement at his antics.

He whips upright with such speed I fear he might throw his back. Eyes wet with tears of joy, he exclaims "It'd be the greatest honor to aid you, Master! When do we depart?" He then guiltily looks aside; "And... what would be the reward for aiding the Master?" 

Of course, the Servant's mostly serve me for the protection I give, but asking them to perform dangerous tasks such as this would require me to provide extra incentive. Hmm... "I can craft you a new spear, as well as other kinds of weapons and armor your village may require. Other than that, there's sure to be items of interest in the Dungeon."

He wags his tail at this. Seems it's settled then. "If it's not too much of a hassle, might I have the spear before we depart, as I still haven't been able to replace the one I broke..." He adds. Sure, I don't mind, in fact, we need some time to prepare the others who'll be coming with. "That's all right, I'll call upon you once we're ready to move out."

With that settled, Delpha insists on looking around. As she's with me, the Lizardmen allow it. "Look Millibelle! Eggs!" She's gently peeking into one of the larger, more sturdily built, huts. Eggs, at this time of year? I ask the Dragonewt about it. "Those are... Well, they're late hatchers... Laid at the normal time of year, they should have hatched before mid-summer, but they haven't."

How odd... I inspect them.

*Bidra Egg - Alive - The dormant Egg of the Rare Pseudo Dragonoid Bidra. Awaits the right conditions for its birth.*

*Salamandra Egg - Alive - The dormant Egg of the Rare Pseudo Dragonoid Salamandra. Awaits the right conditions for its birth.*

*Tatzelwurm Egg - Alive - The dormant Egg of the Rare Pseudo Dragonoid Tatzelwurm. Awaits the right conditions for its birth.*

*Tarasque Egg - Alive - The dormant Egg of the Rare Pseudo Dragonoid Tarasque. Awaits the right conditions for its birth.*

*Quetzalcoatl Egg - Alive - The dormant Egg of the Rare Pseudo Dragonoid Quetzalcoatl. Awaits the right conditions for its birth.*