Chapter 120 - Laplace's Demon

I wake up, somehow feeling refreshed. So Chaos really did take care of the worst of my fatigue. A glance at my time display reveals the sun's just started to rise. Stretching comfortably, I notice Ammit lounging beside me, her jaws agape as if she was sunbathing. 

Although her eyes are unfocused, there's still an awareness of the surroundings, so once I get up into a sitting position, her jaws close and she contentedly snuggles up to me. Before long, my entire body is vibrating from the power of her purrs. 

As I look closer at her, something catches my attention.

[Laplace's Advice: A new struggle for life and death could awaken suppressed memories.]

An odd piece of text hovers in my view, slowly becoming translucent before fading entirely. Laplace... If I remember correctly, he was a mathematician in my old World who postulated that by knowing the position and momentum of every atom in the universe, one could use mathematical formulas to determine the past and future position of all things.

So I've gained such an ability? No... This seems more limited. Chaos' allegory of the lake comes to mind. We got sidetracked by my brother, so they never fully told me the point of it, but I think... I think I can somehow sense the results of my own Chaos?

If I put Ammit in a dangerous situation, there's a chance she recovers? But... It's only a chance, and I don't want to risk traumatizing her further just for that chance. 

[Laplace's Analysis: An ideal result will take time and care. Fast results carry risks. The Gift of Babel seems Ideal. Babysitting in a Dungeon is never safe.]

The text slowly fades again. It's worded ambiguously, but the message seems simple enough to decipher. If I bring her to a Dungeon, huh...

I shake my head vigorously, earning a look from Ammit as she slowly rolls over onto her side. No no, I can't. Let's just take it slowly. I slowly get to my feet, still a bit stiff, and walk over to the Divine Spring. Its water is still and clear, a rich azure hue. 

The need to cleanse my body overwhelms me. Like an instinct, I know that I need to do this soon. Changing into my humanoid form if only to keep the water from spilling everywhere, I slink into the Spring.

The water is cold the moment I get in, but quickly it warms up to match the temperature of my body. Slowly, I feel more and more relaxed, as the water darkens. 

With the change in color comes a sense of urgency, as if I need to quickly leave the water. Clambering onto dry land, the sense of relaxation returns as if nothing happened. I feel refreshed even after such a short time in the Spring. 

I sigh, feeling some amount of guilt over the state of the Spring, but there's nothing to be done about it. Now let's see, how long was I out for?

*User was unconscious for two days. More rest is recommended, though there's currently a 0% chance of recoil should the User decide to move the Ammit and themself to the location of Mina's Monster Ranch.*

"Are we going now or later?"

I flinch in surprise as Shadow's drowsy voice calls out in my head. It's been a good while since we've both been awake at the same time. 

Ah- let's go once we've told the others. It's still really early in the morning, but I suspect Delpha will come by once she's awake. 

I get a half-asleep grunt of approval before sensing that she's tuned out the world. She's still awake in a way; it's more like a light sleep, not like before where I couldn't rouse her even if I wanted to. 

Feeling more relaxed and secure now that I know I can rely on Shadow if need be, I settle back down with Ammit to wait for everyone else to wake up too. 

"Do you really have to leave again so soon?" Delpha pouts. Having explained the reason why I was asleep for two days, she's more than reluctant to let me bring Ammit to Mina. I sigh inwardly whilst throwing a glance at Yggdrasil. Her Avatar has a sullen look on her face.

I get the feeling it isn't entirely related to me leaving again so soon.

"You look worried, Yggdrasil." I decide to ask her directly. 

"Ah- I... I'm just..." She hesitates uncharacteristically before seeming to steel her resolve. "I have this sense of unease. As a small experiment on my part, I have grown my roots towards the Illomen Forest, and... well... I can sense the surging of Malice. Something awful is about to happen there."

Delpha and I stare in a mix of shock and fear. To think the otherwise cautious-about-her-safety Yggdrasil would dare stretch her roots towards the lair of her mortal enemy, or worse, that it's yielded a premonition of disaster. 

"Then it's all the more important I go there. If only to warn the Champions." Yggdrasil is about to protest before I interrupt her. "I'm not going to Illomen myself. Not yet. But giving aid where needed without participating in the fight itself is also important. I promise, I'll be careful." 

I reach out, trying to grab her hands in an effort to convey my sincerity, but they slip past the illusion that is Yggdrasil's Avatar.

She looks down, a frustrated furrow in her brow. Clenching and unclenching her hands a few times, she finally nods. "Come back as soon as possible. Remember that it's just a few days until you need to return to the capital to heal the sick and injured there." 

I nod. "I haven't forgotten." I turn to Ammit, who has been curiously watching the exchange. "Come, let's go somewhere nice." I smile to the monster before reaching out my hand to Teleport us both.