Chapter 42

I walk in the door and Johnny darts up and looks at me straight away.

"Sneaking back In now? Your mom's pissed." He sits back down on the sofa and continues to watch his show.

"That's all you have to say? You aren't going to yell at me or try and ground me?" I ask, confused.

He laughs. "No, I'll let your mom do that. If it was my choice, I wouldn't punish you. Now go talk to her because I'm trying to watch this show".

"Oh, and by the way, if you're going to try and sneak back in. At least try and actually you know sneak in. All you did was walk in the front door. That's boring and lame" he snarks another comment.

I roll my eyes and let out a harsh breath while leaning against the wall. Mom normally isn't pissed if I come home a little bit past dinner. Right now, my body can't handle an argument with my mom. It could give out any second.

"Lillian Hills! Is that you, I hear?" She stomps out to both Johnny and me. Before I can try and say anything she's already going on a rampage.

"Where the hell have you been? Do you have any idea what time it is? I have not heard from you all day and I know you haven't been home or at school. The school called me and said that you weren't in first period." Mom yells.

"Can we talk in the other room please mom," I beg.

I want so badly to tell her the truth but not in front of Johnny. He'll never forgive me if he hears where I actually was.

"Hold on" He butts in. "You told Miguel you were at school and you weren't? So where were you then?" He stands up and eyes me up and down.

"God could both of you stop ganging up on me. Mom, please. Can we go in the other room and talk."

she scoffs, "absolutely not. He is as much your parent as I am. Anything you want to say, you can say in front of the both of us." she shakes her head. "What has gotten into you, Lillian? First, you're trying to ignore your treatments and now you're lying about where you are. You know I'm not a helicopter mom. I let you hang out with whoever and I won't bother you every five seconds of the day to ask where you are. The only thing I've ever wanted from you was the truth. But now you aren't giving that. I trust you enough to let your boyfriend sleepover and find you're own way to school. But now I'm not even sure I should do that. Was it Eli that you were with today?"

If anything he should be the last person she blames. All he ever wants is for me to be happy and healthy.

"What? No! First off, He isn't my boyfriend. We are just friends. He slept over the other night because it was late and we were both already very tired. How dare you blame this on him. He was supposed to drive me to school today and he wanted to but I didn't feel well so I stayed home. I told him I forgot I had a doctor's appointment and couldn't make it to school. I didn't want him to worry so I lied. After he left, I fell asleep before I even got the chance to text you and let you know. Later on, Eli asked if I could meet up with him and Tory. They wanted to hang out but it got late and had practice. It didn't cross my mind once to text you." I turn to Johnny. "I lied to Miguel because I didn't want you guys to know I was at Cobra Kai. I didn't want to be thought of differently. I was there for my friends not...Kreese"

Lying to him made me feel horrible inside. He's always been there for me but recently it hasn't been like that. Through some of the toughest times I've needed him recently, he wasn't there.

"Since this is only the first time you've done this, I'll let it go. Just don't do it again" Mom pleads.

I smile, "Thanks, Mom."