1

AILA

My shoulders hunch naturally.

Even though it was better now than before, I was still too tall. My eyes were level with most of the male students here, and way above the others.

I'd reached 5'9 at fourth grade.

From then on it had become a habit to lower myself, to try and make myself seem shorter than I was. But even then I'd been isolated from the other kids, and that had turned me into a silent girl who couldn't start a conversation to save her own life.

Now I was almost 5'11, towering over most university students.

"Class dismissed."

Swallowing drily, I quickly gather up my books at the professor's call. The hall soon fills up with laughing students, but I'm just a shadow trying to move through the crowd as quick as possible.

I didn't have any friends— anyone I knew in this entire university.

Feeling out of place as always, I make my way out the entrance and finally slow my pace when I reach the pavement. It's cooler outside, and I shuffle with the zipper of my loose jacket.

And like I'd done for the last two years, I turn towards the school library.

Finals were coming up soon. It was almost an obsession of mine to keep my grades high, even though the major I'd chosen wasn't even my interest.

I still hadn't found what I wanted to do.

Shifting my backpack uncomfortably, I'm walking towards the library when someone suddenly taps on my shoulder.

At first I nearly don't realize it.

"...Aila?"

My eyes widen. Then I whip around, to meet eyes with a girl I'd never once talked to before. I didn't think she was even in any of my classes.

But I notice her height before anything.

She's nearly as tall as I am.

"H-Hi." I say, tilting my head in confusion. The girl smiles, her dark hair curled perfectly underneath a stylish beret.

"I heard about you from some other students." She says in a friendly voice, and some of my guard falls away in surprise.

From other students?

"Because of your...height." She smiles again, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear. "There's a modeling audition happening just a few blocks away from here, and I was just wondering if you'd like to come with."

Now I'm completely confused.

"A modeling audition?"

"Yeah." She says, adjusting the choker around her neck. "I'm trying out today— and I thought it would be nice to go along with a friend. All of mine are busy with finals coming up."

So she'd asked me? A complete stranger?

"I mean, s-sure." I stutter, shifting my backpack again. "When is the audition?"

She glances at her watch, her eyes sparkling as she looks back up at me.

"In about ten minutes."

_______________________________

"Wish me luck!" She winks, and I just nod dumbly back at her as she disappears down the hallway with her number. I'd done nothing but to stand with her, and she'd stared at her phone for most of the time.