5

AILA

"Aila!"

And I brace for it, turning up the earbud volume. But the girl who approaches me has a friendly expression on her face, which makes mine turn confused.

She pulls up a chair in front of me.

"I'm sorry, I know this is rude." She laughs, looking up at me with wide eyes. "But are you modeling for Kim Taehyung? You passed the audition?"

I swallow.

Then I nod shyly, which makes her clap both her hands over her mouth.

"Then all those rumors that Bomi were saying about you are wrong! He'd never choose a model unless they really deserve it."

And I want to hide when she calls over several of her friends, who'd been by the doorway.

"Guys! Come here— Bomi was lying!"

Soon I have more than fifteen students surrounding me, gazes full of wonder and amazement.

"You got into V? That's crazy!"

"Did you meet Kim Taehyung? Did he choose you in person?"

One of the girls start talking in a rushed voice. "Is he really as gorgeous as he is in the pictures online? Oh my goodness, I swear he looks like a prince with anything that he wears!"

All of them stare at me.

"Y-Yeah." I say, feeling uncomfortable. "He is."

They erupt in squeals and shouts.

And until the end of class, they pour questions and compliments in my direction. They ask me more about the dark-haired designer— how he's like, if I'm close with him.

They also say how lucky and talented I am.

It all makes me happy at first. But at the end of the day I just want to get away from them and go someplace quieter.

_______________________________

"...good afternoon."

I shuffle into the studio, murmuring a shy greeting. But he has his back to me, focused on the large table in front of him. There's paper all over, and I can glimpse half-finished sketches and drawings scattered on the floor.

He shifts, turning to face me.

"Bonne aprés midi. You sound happier, Miss Aila. More today than yesterday."

I flush.

Yesterday.

I'd looked terrible when he'd found me on campus, with my hair messy from wearing a hood for too long and my eyes red from pressed tears.

"Y-Yeah. They were actually nice to me today." I say, with a little bit of relief. "I think they realized that the rumors weren't true."

He suddenly stops what he's doing.

And when he looks back at me, his eyes are dark and slightly narrowed.