1: Mission

2011

I walked through the halls of Shield headquarters. The white walls surrounded me as I looked up at them. It was quiet this morning. More quiet then usual. I passed by room after room before reaching the elevators. I pressed the button and stood there soaking in the silence. It had been a while since I had been around such tranquility. Busy New York streets took over my life for the past few years.

The elevator beeped and the doors slid open. A tall thin bald man stood in the lift looking at some files. The man looked up and nodded at me. He was Agent Coulson, another person that worked closely with Fury. I gave him a slight nod before walking into the room fully. I turned around as the doors closed in front of me. We stood in the elevator silently. I could see Coulson shift awkwardly in the corner of my eye.

"Interesting file you have here. I have to admit I'm a bit jealous. I've always wanted to meet Captain America." Coulson said breaking the silence. "So how does it work?"

I looked at him confused. I just woke up and it was too early for a million questions.

"How does what work?" I asked back.

"The whole phasing through time, thing. How do you do it?" He emphasized. I took a deep breath trying to think of the best way to explain. I didn't take my eye off the door as the light seeped through our glass surrounding.

"It can go one of two ways. I can phase my entire body quickly." I said. I took another deep breath. I felt my entire body move slightly. "Its like a flash. I can start one place." I suddenly appeared on the other side of Coulson. "And end up in another spot in an instant." Coulson quickly turned to his side and jumped back a bit. I loved doing that to people.

"Or," I continued, "It can be like going to sleep. I focus on a certain place and time. I close my eyes, and it like my soul leaves my body. Suddenly, I'm in a new place. With a body like mine and all. When I sleep in that time, I wake back up in my actual body." I smiled at Coulson as he looked at me amazed. I watched as he nodded slightly trying to take in everything. Though things like this weren't new to him, it still took him off guard.

"So..." Coulson shifted away and looking back down at the file, "Whos the guy?" He tilted the file over a bit so I could see the picture. I looked over seeing the same picture Fury showed me last time. Me and the mystery man named Bucky. I shook my head and rolled my eyes as Coulson closed the file.

"I haven't met him yet." I said simply looking back at the doors in front of me. Coulson nodded. The elevator stopped. A ding could be heard around us before the doors slowly opened. Coulson stepped to the side and motioned his arm out for me to go out.

"Thank you." I said as I stepped out. Before the doors could close I turned back around at Coulson. "By the way your Cap cards are slipping out of your pocket." I smirked as the doors closed slowly in front of me. I could see Coulson's face drop a bit as he frantically shoved a hand into his pocket. I couldn't help but chuckle as the doors closed completely.

"Agent Black." I heard a voice behind me say. I quickly turned around as Fury walked over towards me.

"No smile today?" I asked sarcastically. Fury shook his head as I continued to walk towards a room down the hall. The silence I had in the upper floors were gone now. People fluttered around this floor like mad men. Fury followed behind me as I headed to my destination.

"So you know the lay down at this point. You've gotten your clearance done already into working with Peggy Carter. Stay by her side as much as you can. Today you will meet with Doctor Erskine. He will give the serum to Cap sometime soon. We need you to understand the super solider serum before we wake Cap completely." He kept talking as we kept walking. We had been over this over 100 times at this point. I've traveled back so many times getting my self set up in the 1940's.