33: The Kind You Save

Fury sat with Hill as we discussed our next move. I stood by Sam as they opened a case with three chips inside. The plan was to get onto the three helicarriers and replace the targeting blades with Fury's own. I nodded realizing how much this was going to be. The Triskelion was most likely completely run by Hydra.

"We have to assume everyone aboard those carriers is Hydra." Fury spoke, "We need to get past them, insert the server blades, and may just maybe we can salvage what's left."

"We're not salvaging anything." Steve spoke up, "We're not just taking down the carriers Nick, We're taking down Shield."

"Shield had nothing to do with this-"

"He's right." I spoke up cutting Fury off. I looked over at Fury. He glared his eyes at me. The usual scowl setting in, "This is the second time Hydra has managed to get ahold of me...from the inside.  They've just been growing in power right under our noses and nobody noticed."

"Why do you think were meeting in this cave? Why I warned you a year ago about what may happen. I noticed." Fury argued back.

"And how many paid the price before you did?" Steve asked angrily. Fury leaned back in his chair. His eye shifted between the two of us. He looked down on the table. For the first time ever I saw a bit of remorse on his face.

"Look I didn't know about Barnes." Fury said quietly.

"Even if you did, would you have told us?" I seethed.

"Shield...Hydra. It all goes." Steve said.

Fury looked at us both an nodded. "Looks like you're in charge." He said to Steve as he nodded. I looked over at Steve. I could see the determination on his face. I looked down at the ground. It was about to be a battle. With the majority of the people going against us. This was going to be dangerous. More dangerous then anything I've ever done.

After our meeting Steve walked out of the building. I stood at the end of the bridge watching him processes it all. I kept my arms crossed over my chest, holding tightly to my arms. I could tell he was struggling with the thought of going after Bucky.

"He's gonna be there you know." Sam said as he walked up beside me.

I took a deep breath. My eyes not leaving Steve, "I know." I began to walk over to Steve. He looked so lost in thought. I stopped in front of him as he looked over at me. I could see the determined look on his face. The determination, not only to finish out this mission, but to bring Bucky back.

"I'll get him back, Layla." Steve spoke up. I sighed and looked out into the water. I felt my heart breaking a bit.

"Steve..." I began to talk. I paused. Feeling the tears begin to come back, "I know how this works. Its been done to him for over seventy years. I know they wiped him again the second he went back to Hydra."

Steve took in a sharp breath. His face growing angry. I continued to speak, "He may be too far gone this time."

Steve shook his head. Refusing to believe what I was saying. However, I was right. He may have slightly remembered me. However, I could see it in his eyes. The life in them were gone at this point.

"Look whoever he used to be, the guy he is now, I don't think he's the kind you save. He's the kind you stop." Sam spoke up. I took a sharp breath. Sam was right.

"I don't know if I can." Steve said quietly.

"Well, he might not give you a choice." Sam continued. Steve stayed silent. Looking out into the water bellow us. His eyes lit up. He turned to us. This time new life showed in his eyes.

"He will. Gear up." He said to the both of us.

I looked at him confusingly as he ran down to the other side of the bridge.

"Where are you going?" I asked.

He turned backwards and smiled, "If you're gonna fight a war, you got to wear a uniform."

✪✪✪

We arrived at the Triskelion and took our positions. Steve and Sam were breaking into the headquarters. Hill hung behind near the area. Meanwhile, Natasha worked on things from the inside disguising her self as one of the world security council members. As for me, I was already phased into one of the carries.

I hid behind the some crates that were on the carrier. I kept my body low as a couple of agents walked through the hall in front of me. Once they passed I stood up, making sure my coast was clear.

"I'm on site Charlie now." I spoke into the communicator.

"Eight minutes, Black." Hill said into my ear. I nodded. I quickly walked through the helicarrier. I made my way up to a bridge. I looked down seeing how high up it was. I took a deep breath and moved across it. Green lights glowed ahead of me. I could see the computer system and as I got closer, I held the clip tightly in my hand.

I hears footsteps walking up behind me. I closed my eyes and stopped, recognizing the sound of the heavy boots. I pressed my finger to the communicator, "Cap...I'm going to need your help."

"On my way." I heard him speak back. I could hear Sam and Steve communicate back and forth. I took a deep breath before turning around. A pair of familiar blue eyes locked with mine. I clenched my jaw as Bucky held his gun in front of himself.