2: Steve

I walked towards the recruitment building before stopping outside. I could still see Bucky in the distance as he walked off with the two girls. A small smile landed on my face. He was handsome and I think what made it worse was knowing we would be close.

"Ms. Black!" I heard a soft older voice say behind. I quickly turned around as Dr. Erskine walked up to me. I smiled as I moved up the steps and met him at the top. He smiled as his eyes glowed behind his glasses.

"Dr. Erskine, what brings you out here." I asked pretending I was surprised. He caught his breath as he grabbed my arm excitedly.

"I was checking up on some of the recruits coming in. I think I found the perfect person." He said quickly. I nodded as I followed behind him. Of course he did, he found the soon to be Captain America. "You leave next week to meet with Ms. Carter, correct."

"Yes, sir." I said as I trailed behind him. We both stopped in front of a beige curtain. I looked at him as an MP and a nurse stood outside of it. Erskine whispered something in the nurses ear as she nodded. She quickly walked inside before walking out with another doctor. Erskine raised his eyebrows to me in excitement before we both walked in.

I stared down at what was supposed to be Steve Rogers. He was so small and frail. It was surprising to see this was the same man that sat in the ice back at home. Steve looked at both of as if he was in trouble.

"So you want to go overseas?" Erskine said as he looked trough Steve's file. His German accent poking through every word. "Kill some Nazis?"

"Excuse me?" Steve said confusingly. Erskine brought the file away from his face. He began to walk up to Steve holding out his hand.

"Dr. Abraham Erskine." He introduced himself. Steve shook his hand. Erskine motioned his hand towards me. "This is my associate, Ms. Layla Black." He said. I gave a soft smile to Steve and nodded. "I represent the Strategic Scientific Reserve."

"Steve Rogers." Steve said strongly. For someone so frail he was really tough sounding. I listened as Erskine asked his routine question. Where Steve was from? Noticing his multiple attempts to join the military. It was interesting. For a war like this, most people wouldn't even want it.

"You didn't answer my question. Do you want to kill Nazi's?" Erskine asked. It was a simple question that could be a loaded answer.

"I don't want to kill anyone." Steve answered quickly, "I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from."

Erskine seemed pleased with the answer. He turned to me as I raised my eyebrows at him. I was pleased too. Erskine needed the perfect soldier to create a super soldier. Not one that would abuse the power he was given. Erskine handed me the file. We all walked out past the curtain. I put the folder down and opened it up for him to leave a stamp of approval. I grabbed the file back, and handed it to Steve.

"Congratulations, Soldier." I said softly. Steve looked down surprised before looking back up to me. I walked back with a big smile before following Erskine down the hallway.

✪✪✪

"So he's been approved to join?" Fury asked as we stood outside of Steve's room. He sat in the ice as they slowly began to melt it. It was a slow process. We didn't want anything going wrong. I nodded as I stared at the doctors working around him. I still couldn't wrap my head around the fact that this was the same person.

"So tomorrow you join Peggy?" He asked.

"Yes, Sir." I said simply.

"Continue to keep an eye on him. Get close." Fury said. I turned to him as he walked off. I was already tired of this. I didn't feel right getting close for the sake of a mission. Steve seemed like a sweet guy. I didn't want him hating me when he woke up.

The last few hours of the day I spent training with Clint. He practiced shooting a few arrows as I tried to phase them through my body. A few fights, practicing my combat and we were done. I sat on the floor as Clint handed me a bottle of water.

"Thanks." I huffed trying to catch my breath from the skirmishes. I took a sip, letting the cold water sooth my dry throat. Clint sat down next to me as we both stared at the wall.

"So how's the mission?" He asked. I sighed.

"It's weird. I feel like I'm lying all the time." I said simply.

"Well you are a Shield agent. A good one at that." He answered back. I scoffed as the silence hit the room. My mind immediately went back to Bucky. His smile was all I thought about. I couldn't forget it no matter how hard I tried.

"I met the guy in the file." I said softly. Clint looked at me surprised.

"Already? That was fast." He said as he took another sip of water. I nodded my head. I was surprised too. I figured that happened after Steve became a soldier. Clint looked at me as he noticed a smile appearing on my face.

"Hey no no. Fury warned you. Don't compromise the mission over a good looking soldier. We have plenty of that here. I'll introduce you to one." Clint said concerningly.

I scoffed as I shook my head. I quickly stood up and began to walk away.

"Don't worry Hawk. I'm too damaged to be loved anyways." I said before shutting the door.

"I didn't say that!" I heard Clint yell from the other end. I took a deep breath before walking away. The second I got to my room I fell onto the bed. I rolled over onto my back as the images of Bucky fell back into my head. Why couldn't I stop thinking about him? He's handsome but he seemed like a womanizer. I felt my eyes become heavy as his smile and beautiful eyes took over my head.

I wanted to see him again.