25: Museum

"We have to wipe as much as we can now. She can't remember who the Winter Soldier is."

I sat in a large chair. My body was tilted back. I had a mouth guard shoved into my mouth keeping me from being able to scream. Sweat was dripping down my face from the fear. I had avoided this. I did everything they asked me to so this wouldn't happen. I felt the large metal lower around my head. I began to hyperventilate. I didn't want this to happen. I didn't want to forget.

I screamed in pain as the electrical currents sent shock waves into my brain. I could feel myself slipping little by little. The screams continued to echo around the room. I felt like I was in that moment for days though it had only been a few minutes. The currents stopped however the pain in my head did not. I was forced to sit up. My body felt limp and weak. It was hard to keep my head up. I shifted my eyes to a man in front of me. His face was covered with a mask. His eyes hidden with a pair of black goggles. The only distinctive feature was the silver metal arm. My eyes focused on the red star painted on to it.

Winter Soldier

2014

I shot up from the floor sweat dripping down my face. I tried to catch my breath as I shut my eyes tightly. The memories flooding back. It was the same nightmare I've had since I came back. Every night was the same. I felt my breathing begin to calm as I leaned my arm over my knee. I took one last deep breath and opened my eyes. They began to focus fully. I looked around the room taking in every detail. The black satin curtain, my body surrounded by wooden flooring under me, grey satin sheets wrapped around my legs.

I'm not there. I'm okay. This isn't a Hydra base. Its one of Tony's houses. I'm not there. I'm in D.C.

I took another deep breath. In and out, I told myself. I pulled the sheets off of me and stood up. I looked over at the clock beside the bed. Impressive holographic numbers flipped in front of me. One of Starks creations he added into the room. The clock read 7:30am. I nodded before sighing.

I hadn't been able to sleep for the past year. The memories from childhood being in Hydra were back. However, I still couldn't remember my second run with Hydra. Everything was coming in pieces. I still couldn't get a full grasp on any memory.

I walked to the walk in closet by the door. The lights flickered on as I walked into it. I have to admit Tony had been spoiling me since I moved here. I looked over to the right where a wall of shirt and pants hung. I shifted my hands through them trying to decide how comfortable I wanted to be.

I knew I was going to have to cover myself a bit. Every day I found myself visiting the Smithsonian. They had opened a Captain America exhibit. Not much interested me but one thing.

I quickly grabbed a pair of black jeans and threw a t-shirt on. I walked to the other wall where my jackets sat and grabbed a black leather one. In the closet was a marbled tabled. I quickly grabbed a pair of dark sunglasses and a plain black baseball cap. I stepped to the other end of the closet. I pushed some clothes to the side to reveal a small safe.

I pressed my finger on the keypad and watched as it scanned my finger. The keypad flashed green before a clicking sound could be heard. I turned the nob and opened it to reveal a simple hand gun. I quickly grabbed it and tucked it into the holster hidden on the back of my jeans. I readjusted the jacket to ensure it would be hidden. Its ridiculous that I would bring this, however after what happened I didn't feel safe anywhere.

I looked to the door of the safe. On the inside was a picture of me and Bucky. Steve had found it at my parents beach house. That story added another list of questions.

Why was I there? Why did I leave the picture there? Who was with me?

I stared at it for a second before scoffing and slamming the door shut.