Chapter 3

Nazareth

Jesus is at the fields, as usual. He can be found here early morning. He prays to God; he knows God is his real Father.

But he cannot say this, at least not now. He knows this would sound like blasphemy, and if he gets overheard saying this, he would surely be stoned to death under Jewish law.

So Jesus is alone, conversing with his Father in heaven. "Abba," he starts, this being the dialect for Father. "Abba, I have been waiting for my ministry to start. But when that happens, I know I will meet with opposition. It'll be difficult for me to confront the world and its ways, to present you and your ways. Please, Abba, give me the strength to overcome all temptations on earth! I know what you ask of me. I shall rule in your name. Abba, help me to stand before this corrupt world! Praise you, Abba!"

Jesus is alone and surrounded by nature. So he enjoys it. Nature. It is a beauty. And to think that God made all this for humanity. It is such a shame—and even an abomination—that people have done gash to God's creation.

But Jesus is not like the others. He cares.

This is why he gets taunted by some. He is so passive compared to them. What does he have that they don't? It could be absolute integrity. It could be absolute dependence on God. It is both.

Jesus is just about thirty now. It has been six months since the death of Joseph, his "father".

His mother had told him that Joseph actually refrained from going to bed with her until after Jesus' birth. Then they got on the same bed. So this means Mary was still a virgin when she gave Jesus to birth.

It is in keeping with Scripture that a virgin would give birth to a son named "God-born-among-us". Prophet Isaiah had said this under inspiration.

So now, Jesus is thinking about this when he considered that he had been silent for just about thirty years! Why was he waiting? The people need his message!

But he trusts God that in God's perfect timing, he would begin his preaching.

So he concludes his prayers. Time for a new day.

+

One day, James and the others have an errand. Jesus works alone in the carpenter hut.

As Jesus is working on a wooden bar, he looks intently at that wooden beam. He sighs with this indescribable smile. He knows it could be used for many reasons. "I'll see that one: you can be part of something made of wood. But what? It would make a boat. A bed, yes. It would make a... a door, or a doorpost! Heh!"

Jesus immediately stands up and takes in his hand the wooden beam. He places it against the doorpost. It fits, sort of. "Ah, that's something. It would make a gate or a post! Or the timbers of a house."

Then Jesus turns towards the wooden table where the carpenters work. "Or maybe you'd be a bench or a chair. A chair! Or a table! Maybe a table! Something like that or a... a cross."

For a cross.

Anyhow, it is that thought that set up a cycle of thought concerning the Roman torture emblem. And the thoughts—somehow—turn to himself. This is not the first time he thought on this subject. He has seen crucifixion before. It is awful!

That disgraceful thought! It's on Jesus. He immediately tries to shoo it away. But luckily, the thoughts are interrupted by a knock on the wooden door.

"Come in," says Jesus.

The door opens to reveal someone Jesus has never seen before. He burst into the building, tired from running a lot! Jesus can clearly see that. Jesus has studied looks and actions for so long he already knows accurately what someone thought or was feeling. And he is going to need that.

"You are tired," says Jesus. "Here, sit at this stool over here." Now he heads over to guide the man to the wooden stool. "That'll do, right?"

Breathing in and out a lot, the man says, "Yes."

"Where are you from?"

"Me? Bethany of Judea."

"Bethany," mutters Jesus.

"I came with news. Big news!"

"News? In Jerusalem?" asks Jesus.

"No, no, carpenter. In the Jordan River."

"Oh? News from there? Do tell," replies Jesus.

"There is this new preacher, and he might be some new prophet or something! He identifies himself as 'John the Baptizer' and he preaches repentance for the Jews and that the kingdom of heaven is at hand!"

Then a pause, then the man continues. "That is unheard of. Why would a Jew tell another Jew to get baptized when baptism is for the Gentiles? A Jew baptizing Jews? The Gentiles get baptized to enter into the true faith of the fathers."

Jesus already understands who it is this runner is talking about. "So... what does he preach?"

"Strange enough, not about rebellion against Rome, as anyone in Jerusalem would have expected. He calls rather harshly on the Jews to turn away from sins and be baptized. 'Repent!' he says. 'Repent!' "

Jesus noticed how still tired this person is. He says, "I will get you a cup of water. Wait here." Then the son of Mary got a cup and a container filled with water. He pours out water into the pottery of that cup and hands it over to the man.

"Thanks, carpenter," says the man, taking the cup to drink.

"It's Jesus," replies Jesus. "How many have gone to see him?"

"Oh uh, Jesus, many go over to the Jordan River to get baptized. It figures he'll gain the attention of the religious leaders at Jerusalem. They will find out. Because of no men, like the Maccabees? Surely, surely."

Now he turns to Jesus. "Will you, however, see history being made in Jordan? Are you going to see this Baptizer?"

Jesus closed his eyes for a brief moment. The time has come.

Opening his eyes, he says, "Yes. I want to see him."