Chapter 8

The road from Galilee to Perea

The next day, Jesus tells his three disciples that he wants to head back to Galilee, where he was raised. So Jesus, Simon "Cephas", Andrew, and John take the long trip up to the area of Galilee.

Meanwhile, the tetrarch of Galilee, Herod Antipas, is taking a trip to Perea, where he also rules. His capital in Galilee is (or was) Sepphoris, only a few miles north of Nazareth. His set place in Perea is Macherus, which is a very strong fortress. There is also a dungeon in that place.

Antipas' father Herod the Great used to rule over all Palestine. When "the Great" died years ago, his kingdom was divided up by Rome. His brother Archelaus got Samaria and Judea. When he was exiled, it's all in the hands of Roman governors. The current governor is the recently appointed Pontius Pilate. He had set off the nerve of the Jewish people by setting up banners with images of Caesar into Jerusalem. He eventually removed them, but Pilate clearly resents this humiliation... and the Jews.

Antipas' other brother, Herod Philip, got the area of land east of Galilee Sea.

Now, Herod Antipas is on a carriage, sitting alongside his new wife Herodias and stepdaughter Salome. On another carriage are Antipas' steward Chuza and his wife Joanna. Joanna is especially interested in what the Baptizer has to say.

And it was by Joanna's request that they are now heading through Bethabara.

Bethabara

The tetrarch of Galilee was married to the king of Arabia's daughter. Yet he was not satisfied. He fell in lust with a brother's wife—Herodias.

Once, they both spoke about each of their desires to wed each other. Leaving aside integrity, they agreed that they are meant for each other. They both agreed to divorce their spouses so that they both may marry.

It was shocking to his Galilean subjects why their tetrarch would do such a thing. But it went along. So to celebrate this marriage, they are on their carriages to Macherus. Everything has been planned out.

The news of Antipas' unlawful adulterous marriage already got to the Baptizer. When Antipas and his train of carriages pass by, the Baptizer exclaims, "Why have you married Herodias, your brother's wife? This is adultery! And incest!"

Herodias gave him a stiff look. Unmoved, John son of Zechariah says, "It is not lawful for you to have her, Antipas! You are acting wicked!"

The woman turns to Antipas. "This is treason! Treason! Have him arrested; you can see what he's saying wrong."

Herod Antipas takes one big scan at the crowds around John.

They aren't scared. They're willing to defend their prophet. So Antipas tells Herodias, "But it's not wise to do so with the people looking on. No doubt they'll rebel."

Salome joins the conversation. "Just threaten him. See if he'll recant."

Antipas nods. Salome fires a self-loving attitude. Now her breath sighs, Flee, John.

John stares at the miserable state of these rich people.

Turning to the Baptizer again, Antipas says, "You, John. Don't say such things. Otherwise, we will take measures against you."

John exclaims, "Keep silent about such a public sin?" Turning to the people he shouts, "Never!"

Braved up thus, the crowds join in. Antipas shows nervousness, and Herodias can easily see that. She whispers, "You know, new husband? Don't just arrest him. Execute him. He's stubborn, don't you see?"

Antipas whispers back, "We'll give him... hmmm, say a month. If nothing changes, then he'll face prison."

Meanwhile, Chuza and Joanna exit their carriage. Joanna goes to the Baptizer. "John, my name is Joanna."

The prophet says, "That... name means 'grace of God'. I see you're Jewish."

"Yes, I am," responds Joanna. "I've heard talk about you, that you've been announcing the coming of the Messiah."

"He already has come."

"Really? He has?"

+

"Unbelievable!" says Herodias in disgust. "Your steward's wife was baptized by that man! That John fellow should die!"

"Calm down, Herodias," says Antipas as the carriages continue on their way to Macherus. "It can't go wrong that Chuza's wife becomes a follower of that famous preacher."

Indifferent, Herodias asks, leaning closer to Antipas, "Can it be possible that you're feeling influenced by that madman? How could you do—"

"Enough," responds Antipas. "John the Baptizer will keep on preaching to people undisturbed. I'll see to that—"

"But husband—"

"No," says the tetrarch, ending the conversation.