Chapter 25

Closeby Nain

Jesus especially has on that blue tunic. It can get cold despite the hot climate of Palestine. He is walking a bit in the nice rays of the sun—the sun doesn't even feel hot—when a crowd comes all of a sudden upon him.

As the day is starting, Jesus is going to begin his usual healing when he sees two men shove their way up to him. John the Baptizer's disciples.

"Sir, John the Baptizer has sent us to you. He's asking whether you're the one to come or whether we are to expect another."

Jesus decides to show these disciples his miracles. They've heard of his miracles, but they hadn't seen them. He wants them to see that John was right in thinking he is the Messiah.

So he heals a lot of people then. The sick praise Jesus for his healing them. The disciples of John observe everything.

Then Jesus says to John's disciples, "Go and tell John what you have seen and heard."

The disciples of John now think, This isn't quite the answer we expected. After all, God's prophets had always performed miracles. Is Jesus the Messiah or not?

Then Jesus adds, "Blessed is he who does not fall away on account of me."

So Jesus is the Messiah after all! This is something to tell John.

As they are leaving, Jesus shifts to the crowds. "So, what did you go to the desert to see? Surely not a swaying reed in the desert, for that is commonplace! Surely not a man in smooth clothes, for you can always see them in the palaces of kings! Surely a prophet! But I tell you that John is more than a prophet. A prophecy foretold this prophet. Here, Malachi said: Behold, I send my messenger before your face, to prepare your way before you. You see, no prophet is greater than John. And yet, the least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he."

That's when the people kneel. "Praise God! He still believes in John!" Especially the tax collectors around; they have converted by John, and now by Jesus.

"John isn't someone special," says a Pharisee, who just has the nerve to negate Jesus.

But Jesus declares, "From the days of John the Baptizer until now, the kingdom has been restrained. The violent try to seize it. But John is the Elijah predicted in Malachi. He with ears to hear should hear!

"How can I compare this generation?" Then he sees some children at the market square of the city he is in. "Oh, easy: children in the marketplace calling to their friends, saying, 'We played the flute for you, but you danced not. We played dirge for you, but you mourned not.' " Jesus is referring to the children who play "wedding" and "funeral" and the others should follow along. These friends are unresponsive.

Now he turns to the Pharisee. "John came not eating or drinking, but you say he's possessed. The Son of Man comes eating and drinking, but you say I'm a glutton, a drunkard, and a friend of the misfits. But wisdom is justified by all her children."

It is clear what he meant. They don't care about the ways of God at all.

The Pharisee turns away. "How could he—"

But Jesus says, "How can it be that good comes from an evil person?"

The Pharisee still walks away.

Nazareth

James half-brother of Jesus calls his full brothers over. Joseph Jr. says, "Why did you call us, James? Oh, let me guess let me guess! Jesus, right?"