Chapter 20

Shores of the Sea of Galilee

Cephas and Andrew had a long night of fishing, obviously long because they were awake the whole time. It's a sacrifice that fishers make for them to catch some fish.

Now it seems to be a vain sacrifice.

"No fish at all, Andrew!" exclaims a discouraged Cephas.

As they are closing on to the dock on Capernaum, they see a multitude, centered on someone. What are they doing here this early in the morning? Andrew thinks.

Then he looks carefully. That man who is certainly the center of attention is wearing a light-orange garment with that familiar light-blue tunic. "Simon, it's Jesus!" says Andrew.

Cephas looks up. "So it is," he says. "But he's wearing something different today. Not that close-to-white garment. Now, it's light-orange."

They turn on their side, and they see another fisher's boat—same sails, same rafts. Then they recognize the six people on that other boat. They are James and John sons of Zebedee, the old Zebedee, and three hired workers. Looking at them closely, it is clear that not even they had a good night of fishing.

Cephas sighs. They finally close up to shore. "We can just wash and fix the nets and hope for a better fishing night—may it be the coming night," says the son of Jonas, getting off the boat 26 feet in length.

So that's what they do. The boats are empty and the fishers are fixing and lapping their nets. They ignore the crowd; they figure Jesus would hold them back.

But he couldn't. They want to hear his word. But Jesus wants personal space and the crowd keeps closing on to him. He turns and sees the two boats and the fishers.

Jesus walks to Simon and Andrew. "Shalom," says the Messiah.

"Shalom," they say back. Then Simon adds, "I see you got some new clothes."

Jesus glances at his light-orange vestment. Then he breaks a smile, and says, "I didn't buy it. Remember, Martha made it for me when at Bethany, just before we left. And I just decided to wear it today."

"Nevertheless, you look nice in that," says Cephas.

"I know, right?" agrees Jesus. Then he queries, "May I board your boat? I want to speak to the people, but I need my space."

"Be our guest," declares Cephas.

So Jesus headed to the boat and got inside that same boat. "And also," adds Jesus, "can you put the boat out a little from the land?"

Cephas turns to Andrew. So they both put the boat off the coast. Not that far, at least; only a couple of feet away. So Jesus sits down and preaches to the people, who are on the shores of the Sea of Galilee. All can hear him clearly.

Cephas is obviously tired, and he starts snoozing off in the boat. He isn't hearing much of what Jesus is saying. He requires rest. So he is only nudged up by Jesus when he was done. "Cephas, Cephas."

Jesus shakes Cephas up. Cephas gets up. "Sorry, Rabbi."

"Hey, Cephas, go ahead."

"Go ahead what?"

"Push off into deep water, and throw out your nets for a catch."

Now Simon is puzzled. "But sir, we have worked hard all night already. We did not catch anything."

Jesus' expression doesn't alter.

Simon finally says, "Fine, I'll let down the nets, but only because you told me to."