Chapter 16

Macherus

Mornings can get hot in the land of Israel. Now, John the Baptist is being forced to walk in the hot sun to the Macherus Fortress. The roughness of the sandy ground makes John's sandals deteriorate. The soldiers are going at a consistent speed, and so must John.

How did this happen? John wonders. Out of nowhere Antipas' soldiers have arrested me. Soon I may be in prison. I mean, just how MUCH control does that vile woman have over Antipas?

Now the Fortress is in sight. Oh Lord God, please help me go through this.

The Fortress is on a high height, as if for protection. It sort of looks decent. Now John is made to climb up. The slope isn't that slant—only 20 degrees or something.

Upon entering the gates of the Fortress, John could see a courtyard. There are Roman soldiers doing their daily chores. Some take a glance at their new prisoner.

The soldiers leap off their horses and turn them in to the stalls. Next they, with that rope off the saddle, still lead John into the main building. As John is being led to the entry, it happens that Joanna was passing by. And who can imagine her surprise to see John the Baptizer being taken by the Roman soldiers of Antipas, no doubt to the petrifying dark prison!

Alarmed as she is, Joanna couldn't dare mandate the release of this just man. She just follows, asking the prophet, "What happened to you?"

John turns to her. "Joanna, I figure Herodias has somewhat to do with this."

Indeed.

But now the soldiers put John inside the main building, and then through the stairs leading downward. Under the stone ceiling, John's atmosphere goes from blazing hot to freezing cold.

The damp hall is gloomy. Joanna knows that. Soon John will experience this seclusion. Then they get to the prison door, coarse stone. One soldier opens it. "Well," says the Roman, "from here on until... who knows when, really. Until that time comes, this will be your home, preacher!"

Then the other soldiers untie John and take him inside the dusky, creepy room. It's as if it is entirely made of stone: the floor, the walls, the ceiling. There's slight cracks which serve as light, but that's all the light there is—and that is when it's day!

John is left in the prison as the soldiers exit the unexciting place and shut the door behind John. Joanna bows her head in silence and starts crying as the soldiers bolt the door and depart. If only I could unbar this door and help him out!

Joanna closes up to the door. "John! John!"

She hears a hazy "Joanna, let me be."

"Oh, John! How can you let them do this to you? When did they arrest you?"

"That was last night. They arrested me in the dead of night."

Then a pause, then John continues, "Really, I don't care about myself... that much. As long as the Messiah is out free, then what should I fear?"

The Messiah!

"I hope he is still with freedom," says Joanna.

+

Joanna then runs as fast as she could to the hall room, where Antipas and his wife are. Joanna had already wiped her tears. She has to speak to them. "Antipas, have you ordered the custody of the Baptizer?"

"Huh!" says Herodias. "I know you've become a disciple of the man who seeks our ruin. Well, tell me, Joanna, wife of Chuza: do you really believe he is a prophet?"