Chapter 13

The road to Tiberias

Joanna, the wife of Antipas' steward, is well aware of the path of where Antipas' group is going. They are heading back to Galilee, at Tiberias, the new capital. They decide to go through Samaria. Since Antipas' mother was a Samaritan, this should not be difficult.

Tiberias the city is scorned by many Jews because Antipas had unwittingly built it over a Jewish graveyard; hence, the city is ritually defiled. But Antipas confessed the mistake, but still has it as his capital.

As the carriages travel up north from Jerusalem's Gennath Gate, northwest in Jerusalem, they head up, having to move to the road that leads up to Caesarea. And there also passes another train of carriages.

There sits the governor Pilate and his wife. They have left through Fish Gate.

So it is that both trains of carriages meet. Antipas has ill feelings about Pilate, who is unaware Antipas is thinking this way of him. But they ignore each other... until they finally split ways.

Joanna notices the coldness of Antipas, and she says to Chuza, "Does Antipas have hate in him?"

"Does it matter, even if he has?" asks her husband.

"I wonder."

After a few moments, Joanna finally gives her answer. "There is something I hate... about hate. Hate tears things down. But what about goodwill and love? Love builds up."

"You may be right," says Chuza. Then he quietly asks, "Did you get that from the Baptizer?" Chuza is open to the way to live, so he's truly interested.

Joanna turns to Chuza. "I mean, that's what he implies. He speaks about sharing with others and about being right with God. How can you do that without love?"

"Yes, I see his point. I heard of his talk of the Messiah who is supposed to come."

"And John told me he already came. It figures to be the same Teacher going around Judea now. From what I've heard, he teaches like the Baptizer. He's a certain Jesus, one from Galilee—"

"Galilee? So is he a Zealot revolutionary?"

"No, not that I've heard. I've got to see him, Chuza."

Chuza sighs. "Maybe you can. Look outside."

Joanna looks out of the carriage. There's a crowd of people heading to a city nearby. Joanna notices they are heading to a natural spring to water, where someone is already.

Joanna quietly exclaims, "It's John the Baptizer."

Salim, near Aenon

The train of carriages stops to rest at Salim, which is nearby Aenon, where John the Baptizer is at. So Herodias and Antipas, after having seated for some hours, finally get down.

"I hate long rides," says Herodias with disgust.

Then Chuza and Joanna get off their carriage. Joanna wants to get to Aenon. She wants to see the Baptizer. So while Antipas and Herodias seek a place to stay for the night—one can overhear Herodias' demand: "Please with royalty!"—at Salim, and Chuza coming as well, Joanna takes her chance. She runs off to the other city, Aenon.

Aenon, near Salim

Despite the crowd of people around the Baptizer, Joanna closes up quite easily. She notices that there ain't many people as she thought there would be.

John still preaches repentance and baptizes people who repent of their sins. He is near a spring of water, and the water was deep enough for a submerging baptism. This is how the Jews baptize converts.