Chapter 7

Bethabara, east of the Jordan River

John the Baptizer is still baptizing. It has been 40 days since he baptized Jesus and the powerful manifestation of God came upon Jesus. Now John still teaches the people, this time not about a coming Messiah—he already had come! But he still calls on people to repent. "The kingdom of God is truly at hand!" John continues to exclaim.

Now John had gone to Bethabara beyond Jordan—some see it so similar to Bethany of Judea that it has mistakenly been called "Bethany"—for the baptizing. Not much difference. There is still a line of people getting into the water, waiting for their turn to get baptized by this preacher.

Some in the mass have some questions about John but they ask each other these questions. "What do you think about all this? Do you think something is going to happen to John the Baptizer? After all, he acts independently of the Sanhedrin council. Will they do nothing about this man?"

As they ask these questions, some delegates arrive with this air of authority. The people recognize them—they are rabbis, Levites, and some Pharisees. These are sent from the Sanhedrin council!

"Well, there's your answer," someone says silently.

But the people move out of the way, so that the Sanhedrin delegates come closer and closer and closer to John, still baptizing.

The baptized exclaims, "Oh, praise the Lord!" as she rises up from the water. Then John turns to see who's next. But then the rich clothing on some people on the bank catches his attention. He turns there. These rich and nice clothes are worn by the delegates. "Who are you, Baptizer?" demands a Levite.

"I know what you are thinking," says John, with his rough hairy garment. "And no! I am not the Messiah."

"Not the Messiah, eh?" goes a gray-bearded rabbi. "Well then, not the Messiah. So who are you then? Elijah?"

John had heard this comparison several times. And no wonder. He dresses like him: clothing of camel's hair and a belt of leather. Now he shakes his head. "Nope, not the prophet Elijah."

Another Levite presses, "Are you then the Prophet that Moses spoke about?"

"No."

"Ughhh!" blurts out a rabbi. "Well then, just tell us who you are. We have to send an answer back to those who sent us here to see you, Baptizer! Tell us anything about you. Who do you think you are?"

John finally looks up, then back at them.

"Well?" they hector.

"I am... the voice of one calling out in the wilderness, 'Straighten up the way of the Lord!' Just as the prophet Isaiah said of me."

Now the rabbis gather around to speak to themselves about this response. "The one to prepare the way for the Messiah?" "Is John claiming a prophecy to himself?" "How does he know that?" "So he does think he heralds the way for the Messiah!"

A Pharisee finally turns to another Pharisee, who nods. The Pharisee turns toward John with his question. "You said you are not the Messiah, nor Elijah, nor the Prophet. So what right do you have to baptize people?"

John gets up from the water, all eyes on him. The other Pharisee asks, "Come on, Baptizer! Why do you baptize?"

John closes his eyes. Then he opens them. Silence. John could see someone passing among John's disciples. He is distracted from the question. So the Pharisee asks again, "Why do you baptize? Why can't you please answer the question?"

John proceeds to outstretch his arms upward. "Yes, I do baptize using water," he exclaims. "But among you stands one whom you do not know; he is coming after me, yet I am not worthy even to unfasten his sandal."