Chapter 2

Nazareth

It had been two months since the death of Joseph. Mary had sent a message to her sister when she came back home after the funeral. But the problem was: she had no idea where her sister lives now. At least the messenger found her and urged her to come quickly.

So when she shows up, Mary is sort of surprised.

"My sister! It's been so long!" explodes Mary.

Mary's sister cannot imagine hearing that voice again after so long. She can only mutter, "Mary is speaking so beautiful!"

"Come inside."

Mary's sister comes in.

"I am sorry for your loss, Mary," says Mary's sister.

"Oh, oh!"

Mary starts crying. Mary's sister kneels and hugs her.

"Thanks, my sister," says Mary. "I just... I... I just feel hopeless without Joseph."

Just then, Jesus comes in, done with his carpentry hours. He is coming in with his stepbrothers. Mary's sister notices them. "But you have sons with you!" she says, still speaking to Mary. "Oh, Mary, that is what's lucky about you. That makes me happy."

Now she stands up, turning to the men. "Now just, which one of you is Jesus?"

"Me?" asks Jesus.

"Yes, that's him," says Mary.

Now Mary's sister speaks to Jesus. "Shalom, Jesus."

"Shalom," greets Jesus. "So you are her sister?"

Jesus has never met his aunt before. When Mary's sister nods a yes, Jesus asks, "How was your trip?"

"Oh, it was fine," says his aunt. "It was only hard with the awareness that Joseph died. Oh, but... but that was some two months ago." Then she puts her hand on Jesus' face, over his long brown hair and beard. "I would just hate to watch you die, son of my sister."

Jesus puts his arms around his aunt. "Listen, think about yourselves now."

"You've always been a son of the Law, Jesus. I know. Mary spoke to me about you. Are you going to take over your father's job?"

But he is not my father...

"Well, no. I have something else in mind."

Mary knows exactly what Jesus meant, but she has it hidden in herself. And Jesus turns to the woman you gave birth to him. "You know, at least. Before I was born to you."

"How wonderful, how wonderful," says Mary's sister. "Oh, Jesus, it's been so long since your manifestation."

"Wait, wait, mother, what's going on?" James enters the discussion.

Jesus' aunt says, "It is a secret... for now. Mary had told me. Joseph—"

The very mention of his name throws Mary back into her round of tears.

"Oh sorry, sister." She tries not to cry too. "Well, anyway, he also told me. I went with my family to Gischala for that census years ago. And... when Mary sent a message for me to meet her in 'Bethlehem', I went—oh, silly me—to the Bethlehem a few miles from here! Oh," now a chuckle, "oh, I should have known!"

James turns to Mary. "You always said he was born in Bethlehem. But was he born in... wait, the prophecy said... what?"

"Oh sorry, James. Probably wasn't specific on which Bethlehem it is."