Chapter 6

Somewhere in the Desert

The desert. It is a wilderness! Jesus has been traveling through the sandy surface for an hour now. Jesus needs time to think about all this. God himself has accepted him! And with a big show out of it! The words still echo in his ears: "You are my dearly beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased!"

Yes, this means something special for Jesus. He finally finds a big rock, and there is a shade over there. There—just the place! Jesus heads there. He notices some wild animals around, umm, some small ones.

Jesus gets down under the shade. He feels greatly refreshed here.

+

For almost six weeks, Jesus of Nazareth prays out in the desert. After being here so long without food, Jesus finishes his prayers. Then he feels the hunger. He quietly groans. But he's still alive after 40 days.

Then he notices that he's not alone in this wilderness. Someone appears. The figure says that he came to help him in his current suffering. He suggests, "If you are God's Son, tell these stones to become loaves of bread."

"If?" asks Jesus. He sees this as a temptation. So Jesus, hungry as he is, declines. He would not do a selfish act. Jesus realizes that this figure is going against him, and his mission. He sees that this person is his opposite, and who else is his opposite but the devil? Jesus would have no part with the devil.

Jesus is truly learned in the Scriptures, so he quotes the Inspired Record. "Scripture says – It is not on bread alone that a person is to live, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God."

Silent for a brief moment, the figure says, "So you've shown your trust in God. Well then, provide more proof of your faith in your Father."

Then Jesus finds himself standing at the highest point of the Temple at Jerusalem. From here, he can see where he was 18 years ago when he was sitting among the Torah-experts.

From such a height! Jesus looks straight down. To fall from here would mean certain death. While standing on the parapet of the Temple, he can sense the adversary's presence.

And the false angel says to Jesus, "If you are God's Son, throw yourself down."

Jesus turns to the false angel. An absurd statement! Why would I commit suicide?

But the devil isn't finished. Attempting to meet Jesus on his own ground, the devil quotes Scripture this time, telling him that God will have to rescue his son from dying by falling to such a high height.

Jesus sees this would be tempting God foolishly. Jesus understands he is quoting a most beloved psalm... inaccurately. The passage quoted by the devil reads: For he orders his angels to guard you in all your ways. They will carry you with their hands, so you don't hurt your foot on a stone. Yet the devil drops the "to guard you in all your ways" segment from the citation.

And that "If" still expresses doubt. Jesus isn't fooled. He says to the false angel, "Scripture also says — You must not tempt the Lord your God."

Then Jesus sees he is all-of-a-sudden on some high mountain. Now the devil passes a panoramic view before Jesus, showing him all the kingdoms of the world that exist, and all the glory and prosperity. As Jesus watches the Roman Empire, the Arab Empire, the Chinese, the Celts, and others, the tempter says, "I know your mission is to be painful. You will have hardship—death, also! You must bear the sins of the world. Do you want any of that?"

Jesus noiselessly shakes. This is indeed his mission. He will bear all the sins of the corrupted world. Yes, it is his Father's will. And he resolved to make the Father's will his will also.

The devil continues, "No human would want to face hardship, so why do it?"

Jesus refuses to look at Satan, who enhances, "Well, you don't have to get a kingdom the hard way."

"What do you mean?" asks Jesus.

The false angel answers, "I will give you all this power, and the splendor of them; for it has been given into my hands and I give it to whom I wish. All these I will give you if you will fall at my feet and worship me."

"W... what?" goes Jesus. "Under your control; with sin also? Acknowledge your authority? I can't! I won't!"

Jesus shouts his answer, "No!"

The devil tries to speak. "Think of it, Jesus. Armies. Reign. Authority. All you could want!"

But Jesus wouldn't let him talk of earthly things. "I don't want your cheap glory! I want the glory from my Father—the real glory!"

Satan still tries to get Jesus to yield. "Consider! Consider what you will obtain from bowing to me—"

"No! Go away, Satan!" demands and orders the Son of God. "For Scripture says – You must worship the Lord your God, and worship him only."

It's all over then. Satan, the devil, is defeated by the Word of God for the third time. Satan finally leaves, forcing himself away from the one who wouldn't yield to temptation. If he could resist temptation, anyone can. Jesus is determined not to sin. He has a zeal for God no one can describe. Jesus has a purpose to set up a kingdom of righteousness.

Now that the devil left, Jesus falls down on the ground of the wilderness, exhausted.

The wilderness! He is back where he was! And how comforting to know he has passed the test. Then Jesus can see angels come from heaven. They provide him with food and water. They assure him that now all is well. All heaven rejoices in his victory.

But now it's time to start his ministry.

So Jesus, refreshed, gets on his feet and started walking eastward, hoping to find the Baptizer.