Chapter 9

Sepphoris

In the meantime, Jesus and his three disciples arrive at Galilee, often called "of the Gentiles" because of how influential it could be. Greeks and Romans thrive here.

While in a city here, Jesus meets with a Jew. "What's your name?" asks Jesus.

"My name is Philip," comes the reply.

"Ah, a Greek name," declares Jesus. This partly Greek Jew can speak not just Aramaic (and perhaps Hebrew), but also Greek. Jesus bids Philip, "Follow me."

Philip goes with Jesus. He also becomes a disciple along with Cephas, Andrew, and John. And it turns out: Philip already met Cephas and Andrew. Their hometown is the same: Bethsaida, a town northeast of the Galilee Sea.

+

Among those who were there when John the Baptist proclaimed that Jesus is "the Lamb of God" and "the Son of God" was Nathanael. When he looked at Jesus, however, he couldn't get it that this man could be the Messiah. He doesn't look extraordinary.

Now here he is, near Sepphoris, the former capital of Antipas, who in turn is now at Macherus, east of the Salt Sea. Nathanael, a son of Talmai, sits under a fig tree, quiet. He thinks about what John the Baptist had said. Confused as Nathanael is, he hopes that God would reveal the truth to him. He prays quietly that God show him if the man pointed out by John to be the Messiah really is the Messiah.

Philip finds Nathanael here. They both often pray here, far from the city and closer to nature. "Shalom, Nathanael!"

Nathanael turns and smiles at Philip.

"Nathanael, you must understand. We have found him of whom Moses wrote in the Law, and of whom the prophets also wrote," blurts out Philip before he enhances, "Jesus son of Joseph from Nazareth—"

"Nazareth!" exclaims Nathanael. "Are you kidding me?" Nazareth has a bad reputation if it even has one. "Can the Messiah come from such a place? Nazareth, Philip! Can anything good come out of Nazareth?"

Nathanael is from Cana (this means "place of reeds"), which is only about four miles northeast of Nazareth, that small agricultural settlement. So Nathanael sees the mountain city of Nazareth as doubtful for the place for the Messiah.

However, Philip wouldn't argue. "Come and see," he insists.

He leads Nathanael to Jesus, who is with Cephas, Andrew, and John when Philip and Nathanael arrive.

When Jesus sees Philip and Nathanael coming, he turns especially to Nathanael and says, "Here is a true Israelite, in whom there is no deceit!"

Huh? thinks Nathanael. He's talking about me as if he knows me. But how? How does he know this about me?

To Nathanael's questioning, Jesus simply answers, "Even before Philip called you when you were under the fig tree, I saw you."

Nathanael is convinced. Jesus must be that Messiah. He confesses, "Rabbi, you are the Son of God and the King of Israel!"

Jesus hears Nathanael's sincere confession and tells him, "Do you believe in me because I told you I saw you under the fig tree? You will see greater things than those!"

+

Two days have passed. At Cana, there is to be a wedding. It interested Jesus because the bride and groom are relatives of Mary. So Jesus tells his five disciples he wishes to stop over there. "I am a relative of these people. No doubt my mother will be there. I want to grace the festival with my presence."