Chapter 18

Outside of Jerusalem

Jesus is speaking with some of the shepherds around the fields of Jerusalem.

In time Jesus will head back to Galilee. Pentecost is over. But Jesus decides to make a brief stop. The shepherds there catch his attention. They are with their flocks of sheep and goats.

His mother said something about shepherds visiting her on the night of his birth. The shepherds told her (and Joseph, Jesus' supposed father) that they saw a vision of angels announcing to them about the nativity of Jesus. "A Savior is born to you," one angel said, "who is the Messiah and the Lord."

The angels of heaven even sang a song in praise of the newborn child of Bethlehem. They sang:

"Glory to God in the highest!
On earth peace, and goodwill toward people!"

The shepherds, having received such a vision, quickly hurried to the place of the birth of Jesus. It was nighttime, and they told all this to Mary and Joseph. "I didn't get it all," Jesus recalls Mary saying to him, "and I kept it to myself. I kept it in my heart. Well, now I have told you, Jesus."

Jesus now walks up to the shepherds here, now. "Shalom, men."

The shepherds cannot express themselves. Jesus—Jesus addressing them? "Shalom!" they eagerly shout.

Jesus says to them, "Say, it must be a big job being the keeper of these flocks."

"Indeed, sir," says a shepherd. "Protecting the sheep is a grave deal. We must keep them from predators, for example, and we must also see to the sheep's needs."

Then Jesus says, "And I am certain you'd go searching for even one lost sheep."

"Oh, yes," says that shepherd. "All sheep are special."

Jesus nods. He agrees to the statement. "And... where do you keep them?"

The shepherd's response: "Within a walled area, the wall of stacked stone. We have thorns on top of them, regardless of the height of the wall, so no thief or bandit can sneak in to steal a sheep."

"Protection... like a wall," utters Jesus.

Like a wall...

Bethany

Jesus is with his disciples as they arrive at Bethany. The young Mary smiles. "Soon you guys will meet my family!"

Jesus smiles. She has been saying that multiple times! How excited she must be!

"I'll greet my family!" she says.

Then she sees in the distance her home. There she sees two grown adults in the courtyard. They are engaging in a conversation when the male pauses and turns to the group with Mary. The female also turns behind her.

Mary smiles. It's them! She runs up to them quickly. "Martha! Lazarus!"

Then the siblings smile. They get up and run up to hug their long-lost sister. It's been so long since they had last seen her!

"Mary, it's been so long," says Martha.

"You're here again!" adds Lazarus.

Martha smiles harder than Lazarus, however. Then, Mary turns to Jesus and the disciples. "Oh, that's Jesus of Nazareth!"

Jesus and company walk forward. Jesus is the one in all white and a light-blue tunic, as he usually wears. Martha and Lazarus turn to their sister. "Mary, you've met that famous Rabbi?" asks Lazarus.

Mary nods a Yes. "We met somewhere in Galilee. He healed me of my distress!"

Now Jesus approaches them. "So, you are Martha, and you are Lazarus. You are related to Mary."

"Oh, we are, Sir," affirms Martha. She kisses the Son of God's hand. "Thank you for blessing this house with your presence!"

Lazarus turns around back to the house. Mary notices and hurries up to Lazarus. She hugs Lazarus yet again. She can't have enough! "It's been so long, Lazarus!"

Lazarus smiles. "I missed you, too, my sister."

Then they turn. Martha is leading Jesus and company into the house. "Let me serve you guys! Two miles of walking, oh how tiring that must be!" Then she heads over to the kitchen.

Mary then turns to John son of Zebedee. "I repeat this over and over, John: thanks for bringing me over to Jesus!"

John makes a nod. "I'm happy for you, Mary."

Then Mary remembers to say something. She turns to Lazarus. "Oh, forgive me for not having come back after years! Forgive me! Life got horrible in Magdala! I should have headed home sooner! I wish I did!"

A sigh. "But then I was corrupted, in the worst way. And believe me, I never want to return to that lifestyle ever again!"

Lazarus smiles at his sister's confession. Then Martha comes up. "All is forgiven, sister. Well, guys, what would you like for lunch?"