Chapter 15

Somewhere in Galilee

As Jesus enters the area of Galilee, he is met with Galileans who welcomed him. Some of these have seen his acts at the Passover Festival at Jerusalem, and they had told others of this Man of wonders. Hope springs upon many that he's the Deliverer.

But Jesus soon learns that his hometown wouldn't believe he is the Messiah. The report has just come to him on what they at Nazareth were saying: "Jesus? Messiah? Ha!" "But he is just a Carpenter. Surely he's going to craft us wooden weapons against the Romans?" "He must be insane." "Who does he think he is—David?" "Messiah! Messiah! The Messiah that can't save!"

So Jesus tells his disciples, "You know, prophets shouldn't be expecting honor in their own city." Consequently, they decide to pass Nazareth and stay in Cana, where he took part in that wedding and made the water into wine some time ago.

Tiberias

"Oh, come on, my husband," goes the wife of Antipas. "Arrest that John the Baptizer already! Why, he won't be silent about our marriage!"

"Herodias, I have been over this already," says an obviously annoyed Antipas. "If he isn't posing rebellion against us or Rome, I can't worry about him!"

Herodias does not give up. "And what about the other things he accuses you of?"

"They're all true," says the tetrarch. "He's a prophet or something."

"Well, even so, he's shaming us! Go silence that madman... and quick!"

Antipas thinks. Then he tells his nagging wife, "Soon we'll be heading for Macherus, beloved. We'll see about this matter."

+

"Salome, will you be a good daughter and come here?" goes Herodias, calling her daughter over.

Salome comes to the royal hall. There is her mother, her mother alone. "Yes, mother?" the girl asks.

"As you know, we'll be heading for Macherus tomorrow morning. So be a good girl, Salome. No complaints about the long ride."

Salome shrugs a Whatever. But isn't it mother who complains about the trip?

Then Antipas' wife adds, "Do you remember that man who insulted my new marriage with your father-in-law?"

"You mean... John the Baptizer," replies Salome.

"Right. There's a chance we'll pass by him again. If we do, talk Antipas into arresting that man, that he may disgrace us no more."

Salome forces a smile into her face in agreement.

The road to Macherus

Passing through the Jordan River, and entering Perea, the train of carriages continues on the track. And in fact, they close up to the group where John the Baptizer is baptizing and preaching. After all, this is the shortest way to Macherus. Only a dozen of miles away! Herodias clearly hates long rides. "As short the path as possible," she had said.

John son of Zechariah turns to see the carriages. Remembering last time, he runs up to the chariot where Antipas, Herodias, Salome, and others are at. "So Antipas," shouts the prophet, "you still have not done away with your godly marriage! So go ahead, repent of your sins, and act!"

"Ah, silence!" shouts Herodias.

But John wouldn't keep quiet. "You are living in sin, Antipas! Repent now! Don't live as an adulterer any longer!"

Salome turns to her father-in-law. "Arrest him," she says, making sure her mother hears. "He shames the family, tetrarch."

Antipas resists. "But what can go right?"

"Father—"

"I can't!" says Antipas.

"You tried," says Herodias to Salome. Herodias now turns to Antipas. "Arrest this Baptizer, or he'll lead everyone against you."

John the Baptizer is still pointing at Antipas, and speaking to his people, "This man is a sinner in the eyes of God Almighty! He has no right to take that woman!"

Antipas sighs.

Herodias gets hopeful. Has he conceded? She hears this response:

"It'll be a quiet arrest, or else I'll have a revolt on my hands."

+

The peace of the night is broken by horsemen as they arrive at John's campout. These horsemen have Roman armor, obviously showing they are in the service of Antipas, who rules these lands.

John the son of Zachariah is with a disciple by the campfire, warming up. This disciple is named Cleopas. The horsemen surround them.

"John the Baptizer," says a soldier. "Orders of Antipas! You are under arrest!" Then he turns to his fellow soldiers, "Bind him!"

"No!" protests the young disciple. But the soldiers get off their horses and rush to John. Cleopas tries to shield John, but the soldiers are too strong. They grab hold of John. The disciple tries to fight John out of their hands, but a soldier pulls him back while the others tie the son of Zechariah's wrists together in front. The other end of the rope is held on by the recently-invented saddle.

The horsemen are leaving the scene with their prisoner. Then that soldier lets go of the disciple and hops on his horse to follow the other soldiers. In no time they are gone.

Cleopas gets on his feet. He tries to catch up to the horsemen who took prisoner his rabbi. But they are too fast.

The arrest is quietly done, and so far only the disciple knows of this deed. Dazed at the sudden arrest, he hurries to tell the other disciples of John—now sleeping in their tents—about what just happened.