Chapter 4: Mother Tongue

Your eyes were wide as you took in his appearance.

Just as you first saw him. Up close he definitely looked to be even taller then 6feet. You'd never seen hair as naturally white as his. Your jaw practically dropped at how muscular his arms were.

Realizing how rude it was for you to stare, you gulped before moving your gaze back to his red eyes. Skimming over the what looked to be handles of two blades on his back. "(Y/N), this is Uzui. Uzui, this is (Y/N)." Kochi had finally spoken up and introduced the two of you.

You coughed to clear your throat up from the left over water you choked on earlier. Hearing your name from her lips, it must be better for you to introduce yourself to him then letting her do all the work. Giving him as good of a bow that you could muster. "Hello, I'm (L/N) (Y/N)."

When you looked back up, you could see that his eyes were focused on you.

Nervous from the attention, your gaze moved back and forth. Taking in the rest of his outfit. He wore a head band that had giant gems embedded into the material. Actually, his head band seemed to be made of metal itself.

"How Flamboyant! You speak English?"

At the sound of his words being ones that you understood, your eyes bugged out and you nodded your head feverishly. "Yes! I speak English!" The other people in the room could feel the excitement. They could see it too as you begun to fling your arms about haphazardly as you spoke. "I know that you and the others here speak Japanese, but I'm not from around here. So I-I don't understand what anyone is saying."

Your eyes bore into Uzui's as a shy smile spreads across your face. "You speak it too though... and I'm glad to know someone that I'll be able to communicate with-"

Before you could open your mouth to speak some more, he held up a hand to stop you.

"It's not very flamboyant of you to ramble off like that."

You couldn't help but twist your facial expression. Who uses a word like 'flamboyant' that way? Keeping your lips shut, you bowed you head once more to let him know that you were listening.

Uzui turns back to Kocho, "Tell me again where she was found?"

"That is the most interesting story of our new friend." Kocho had a smile that swept onto her face, but you couldn't help the shiver that went down your spine as she looked at you. A nervous sweat forming on the side of your face. "From what I heard. She fell from the sky right before the Final Selection."

The sickly sweet smile on her face made you turn away. You couldn't tell what they were talking about, but it seemed to be pretty serious.

"Ha! From the sky?! That's something you don't hear every day!" His boisterous laugh caught you off guard once again. "(L/N)! As flamboyant as your entrance was. I'm going to need to talk to you for a bit!" That was understandable, with the way that you arrived... There were bound to be questions.

"I understand sir."

"OK!" Quickly, he pulled up a chair and sat down right beside you. He did it too fast for you to see, but he was now uncomfortably close to you. His eyes unblinking as he began his questioning.

The others had filed out, Kocho calling out to Uzui as she left, "I'll be in the office. Let me know once you're done as we still need to keep treating her wounds."

~~~~~

It felt like his eyes were burning holes into the side of your face as the two of you sat there in silence for what felt like hours.

"So you don't speak Japanese at all?" His words brought your attention to him, and you nodded. "And you were still able to tell what language was being used?"

Ah, explaining that would be an easy feat for you. "Yes. Where I'm from, there's a lot of different races. So I've come across a few Japanese people from day to day."

There was some more silence. If someone were to have looked into the room right at that moment, it would look to them that you were having a staring contest. His unusual red eyes were making you slightly uncomfortable and as you were about to look away again he continued his questioning.

"Where is it that you're from?"

His question brought a frown to your face. How was it that you should answer him? The best option was to be as honest as you could to stay in their good graces. There was no way that you'd be telling him, or anyone for that matter, that you were from a country hundreds of years in the future.

You couldn't help yourself from twiddling your thumbs, looking away from him for a moment. "I-" You cut yourself off. There was no point in giving the full truth, a little white lie. You nodded to yourself before looking back at Uzui. "I'm from (home country)."

He narrowed his eyes at you. The suspicion was there, no doubt. How would someone from (home country) find themselves falling from the sky here in Japan. It just didn't make any sense. "How did you get here from so far away?"

A sigh escaped your lips at the question. "I don't know."

The defeated look on your face said it all to him. You really didn't know how you ended up here.

It was Uzui's turn to let out an almost inaudible sigh. He seemed to have come to a conclusion about something as he straightened his back. "Rest up! I'll let Kocho know that we're done."

That was it?

"But..."

Of course there was a catch.

"I'll be seeing you later!"

Later? That meant he was coming back. He wasn't unpleasant to talk to, but it was awkward since it was essentially an interrogation.

You lift your hand to wave, but caught yourself half way. Instead leaning into a bow once more. He gave you a smile as he turned to leave. Giving you a full view of the Blades on his back.

They were sheathed of course, but the sheer size of them made you gulp. Both blades look liked they were as long as his own forearm, maybe even longer.

Aoi was back, and it took you a few seconds to realize this. Your mind stuck on the thought of seeing Uzui wielding those twin blades.