Chapter 22: Excuse Me?

You didn't really have anything to say, as your mind was still boggled at the fact that you had just witnessed two swords change colours. It was one thing to hear about it, but to see it happen to your own blades was something of its own.

The others around you were practically in as much shock as you. Zenitsu more so for the colour that your swords had changed into. As it was a shade so close to his own. "Does this mean you'll protect me now Angel?" He blubbered out.

Tears were falling down his face at the thought of you being the one to protect him.

Not even bothering to sparing him a glance, you looked over at Rengoku with the biggest grin on your face. You really wanted to show it to brother Uzui as soon as he visits, but Rengoku had also trained you and deserved your thanks.

"Rengoku-san," You started, folding yourself into a seated bow of respect. Panic fluttered around the room as you did so, the worry for your still healing injuries on everyone's mind. "Thank you so much for training me. It means a lot that you took up the time to train me while still injured." You really couldn't be more grateful, if it wasn't for his encouraging words and even saving his life, you wouldn't have gotten the courage to step out of the Butterfly estate and do something impactful.

You didn't stay bowed for long, making sure that you thanked the swordsmith as well. "Thank you Ashina-san for the beautiful swords. I will take great care of them."

Isshin bowed his head in response before getting up and making his way out. "Be sure to not break them, or else." The swordsmith left with those words, but you weren't worried about breaking them. You couldn't remember the last time you could have broken anything (aside from your body... heh)

It was Tanjiro who finally spoke up after Isshin finally faded from your sight. "So you're a Demon Slayer now." It came off as more of a statement then a question this time and you nodded.

Gesturing him and the other two to follow you back to the room. Rengoku, happy with seeing your new swords, had not joined you in seeing off Isshin and instead went back to the ward he was staying in for some more rest.

The five of you sat down(Tanjiro, Inosuke, Zenitsu and Kanao,) and right away you delved into your story. How at first, just like you told them before, there was no thought in your mind about becoming a Demon Slayer. Yet despite that, after training with Uzui and saving Rengoku's life, the idea of being helpless and not being able to lend a hand to people had struck you. It wasn't like you were going to be able to find your way home so soon.

Wanting to make a difference, no matter how miniscule it would be by a Demon or two, you had made up your mind and took on some more training with the help of both Rengoku and Kocho. You explained to them how it was during the Final Selection for you. How the book that Kocho had lent you had helped prevent you from the brink of starvation. 

Zenitsu cried out when you finally got to the part about the Tree Demon. A shudder ran through your spine as you recollected the claustrophobic feeling you had as the arms of the Demon had wrapped around you.

Kanao tilted her head, her expression calm as she spoke up. "But you were still able to get away, and now you're here as an official Demon Slayer."

Grimacing you could only agree with her. "Yes, you're right, I'm still here."

Speaking of the Final Selection, something from the back of your mind finally came to the forefront. "Do you know what a Marechi is?" Their eyes widened at your question. 

You could just tell that the expression that you would have seen from under Inosuke's mask would be confused as he snorted. "What's that, a food?"