Chapter 20: Survival of the Fittest

*Content warning; mention of starvation, death, blood and gore (typical Demon Slayer things)*

You couldn't help the nerves that shook your body.

It was one thing to claim all that you did in the past few days.

But now that you stood in a vaguely familiar area surrounded in wisteria trees, the memories of your entrance to the world slammed to the forefront of your mind.

Convincing yourself that there was no turning back, you steeled yourself, looking ahead at where one black haired, and one white haired child stood. The grip on your two blades turning your knuckles white. 

~~~

"You're ready to take the Final Selection"

You couldn't help but stumble at his words. Your eyes bugging out of your head as you steadied yourself. 

"I am?" Your voice squeaked.

~~~

Their words only went in one ear and out the other.

~~~

Rengoku held your shoulders as he looked into your eyes. "(Y/N), I've watched you train for the past few days." He looked off to the side for a moment, his gaze no longer here with you. "After seeing how hard you train, and all of your forms, you're more than ready to take the Final Selection."

~~~

The other participants started to move in your peripheral vision and that kicked you out of your thoughts and sparked you to running into the forest behind them.

You swore you could feel your heartbeat in your throat as you slowly got further and further away from the wisterias. The darkness of the night seeping into your vision as you left the safety of the purple trees.

Rengoku's supportive words only a whisper in your mind as you rushed to what you believed was east of the mountain top.

Thankful for the cloudless night, it took less time than usual for your vision to adjust to the darkness.

Your footsteps were swift, and you kept yourself at a good running pace. No way did you want to wear yourself down the first night when you had to get through seven. That's also not taking into account the Demons lurking on the mountain as well.

Kocho had mentioned in passing that the Demons on the mountain were put there from previous Demon Slayers, and in your head you figured that there was bound to be many vengeful Demons out for blood.

It was probably close to fifteen minutes into your run when you finally came across your first Demon. You had spotted it a ways away from you with it's back facing you. At first, you had thought it to be another Slayer, but as the sounds of crunching filled your ears you did a double take. 

Aside from it's humanoid shape, it had sharp like claws for fingers. The claws were drenched in fresh blood as it tore a chunk out of a still bleeding body from underneath it. It was this moment that you were glad to have become desensitized to such a gruesome sight (not the Demon eating a human, but the wound that was inflicted on your fellow Final Selection participant,) as it's sharper than normal teeth bit through the chunk of flesh like a hot knife to butter.

The Demon was so engrossed in stuffing it's face that it didn't notice you sneaking up on it until one of your blades sliced through it's neck. "How disgusting." The words slipped from your mouth as you watched the head tumble away from the Demon's body. There was blood smothered all over the Demon's face from it's meal. You swiftly kicked it's body in the opposite direction the head had landed to keep it from reconnecting with it, but that didn't matter as the body dissolved with your kick.