Chapter 17: Before You Go

Tsuyuri had mentioned it to you in passing, that Kocho was able to give Inosuke and Zenitsu the pep talk they needed that Tanjiro sucked at. Whatever it was that she had said to them had them working overtime in a more feverous way than Tanjiro. Catching up to him in only 10 days by bursting gourds that were the same size that he was working on.

It didn't take them any longer to best you at the reflex training and tag either.

Zenitsu, much like how he was with Aoi and the other girls, refused to splash the medicinal tea onto you. He had some sort of smug look on his face as he held onto the cup of tea. You could only stare at him with a blank face, not knowing how to react to him.

When it came to tag, Zenitsu was on you in an instant. Everything was going well, you did your best to avoid him, pivoting on your heels as many times as you could to throw him off. He kept on strong, staying right behind you the whole time. Not bothering to grab onto your wrist, Zenitsu lunged and tackled you at the waist. His arms curled around you as the both of you landed on the mat.

You laid there face down on the mat, winded from the force he had put into that tackle. His arms tightened around you as you didn't bother moving from the floor. At least until Zenitsu started to snuggle his face into your back did you kick back to force him away as you stood. "Inosuke's turn now." You were quick to face away from Zenitsu as he whined. Making sure that he didn't see how red your face was from his actions.

Inosuke was relentless. There was no shame at all as he began to hound the table of tea. When he slipped under your grasp, you had gotten a face full of tea while he laughed madly. That only spurred you on to try harder during the game of tag.

Everyone in the room could practically see the steam billowing out of the nose of Inosuke's mask as he chased you around on the mats. It felt more intense compared to when you were running away from Tanjiro and Zenitsu. But at some point, Inosuke's continuous yelling only elicited laughter from you. A sound that not all of those from the Butterfly Estate has heard from you before. Despite the warmth that everyone in the room received, especially that same weird fuzzy feeling that Inosuke would get when Tanjiro would talk to him, being distracted by your own laughter was your downfall. Not even a few seconds later did Inosuke dive for your legs (for whatever reason) and lifted you up.

His actions left you hanging over Inosuke's shoulder like a sack of rice. Your shock wore of rather quickly as his screams and laughter of victory caused a chain reaction. Now the both of you were laughing hard (you were still on his shoulder.)

It took a while to calm Inosuke enough to get him to put you down after all that wild energy. Namely, Tanjiro had somehow convinced him to put you down, and it wasn't long before Inosuke was sprinting out of the room yelling. Inosuke wasn't very gentle in putting you down, as he really just shrugged you off, letting you fall to the floor without as much of a warning before he took off. Luckily with Tanjiro there the whole time, he offered his hand to help you stand.

There wasn't much that you could really say about Inosuke's actions. As he was well justified to celebrate his win and his completion of the training. But you couldn't help the pit that was forming in your stomach as you watched Tanjiro give you a bow before chasing after Inosuke to calm him.

~~~~~

Much like the past week, the next few days flew by and before you knew it three had completed their rehabilitation training, and Tanjiro and Inosuke were eagerly waiting by the front gates for their swordsmiths.

They had mentioned to you off handedly during their time at the Butterfly Estate that they both broke their swords during the battle of their last mission. The mission that landed them there at the Butterfly Estate in the first place. Neither Zenitsu or Tanjiro wanted to go into detail in fear of making you sick from all the information. But there was nothing they could do to stop Inosuke from boasting about finishing off some headless Demon.