Chapter 27: Too Hot

"Y-you're blades?"

The Kakushi you had cornered stuttered their words.

This only made you squint harder at them.

"Yes, my blades. A Wakizashi and a Yoroi-doshi."

~~~

It had been about a month or so. Tanjiro and yourself were mostly healed up, the last thing to do was to get your blades to start going back on missions.

Since Zenitsu and Inosuke had recovered before you, they already left to go on missions. They stopped by in between said missions to see how the two of you were holding up.

Aoi would complain to them that, even while healing, you ended up falling back into the old routine of checking on other Demon Slayers who were in the wards. She would find you, with your wound reopened and slowly bleeding into your Gi, leaned over a newly admitted patient stitching closed a stab wound.

Frantic, Aoi was quick to drag you away as soon as you snipped off the end of the thread.

It wasn't until Kocho had to reprimand you about resting and waiting for your body to be left with just a scar that you could move about and start training.

Training this time around was interesting, as Kanao was out, the only other person you were left to train with was Tanjiro.

Tanjiro had almost out right refused to train with you.

The glare you sent his way, with a fire burning bright in your eyes, had him stumbling over his words.

Despite being there in person and fighting along side him during the fight with the Upper Moon, Tanjiro's fast movements came to a shock for you. He was quick on his feet, and was fast in predicting your moves. He was by no means faster than Kanao during spars, but he dodged and blocked all your blows.

Your speed had kept Tanjiro on the defense, his arms straining with each blow he took from you.

He's never really sparred with Inosuke, so it was new to him to face a duo wielder. With the two wooden practice swords in your hands, the shortness of them throwing him off.

Being the first time you've sparred together, it was a very new experience for the both of you. As it was then that it started to sink in for Tanjiro, that you were much stronger than he believed you were. He watched as you took a deep breath, your arms moving faster then he could track, as your body moved in a practiced routine to smack the blades together.

You stopped as soon as they made contact, your eyes wide as you looked down at your hands. Sparring with Tanjiro had you taking it seriously. Not that you've taken all of your previous spars with a light heart. But there was something about Tanjiro that spurred you on to want to do your best.

There was smoke drifting from where your wooden training swords met. Tanjiro's nose twitched at the smell of something burning.

Apologetically you raised you hands up towards him. "Sorry Tanjiro-san, I think we'll have to stop here."

Tanjiro was understanding, his soft smile always catching you off guard with the fluttering feeling it gave you. "Don't worry about it (Y/N)-san, we can spar again another day."

You face was flushed as you grinned back at him, giving him a slight bow as you walked (almost sprinted) away.

With the two smoking wooden training swords still in your hands, your mind went back to your Wakizashi and Yoroi-Doshi. You don't remember seeing them at all when you had woken up from your fight with Upper Moon Six. The Kakushi that came to help clear up the destruction should know.