Chapter 19: Plus One

*Content warning, there will be blood in this chapter*

Kocho and Tsuyuri had left to go on a mission way before the sun rose the next morning.

That same morning a crow flew above the estate as you were finishing your morning jog. It glided through the air and flew in a few circles above you before landing on your readily outstretched arm. (You had seen both Kocho and Tsuyuri do the same with their own crows.)

It took you a lot longer to understand the message being relayed by a crow, but it was clear enough for you. One of the high ranking Demon Slayers had come into contact with an Upper Moon Demon.

From what you remembered about what Kocho had told you last night. The Upper Moon Demons were the highest ranking Demons in terms of strength and closeness to the King of all Demons. 

After telling Kocho that you wanted to become an official member of the Demon Slayer Corps. She doubled down and flooded you with loads of information about what the purpose of the Corps was. You didn't think that she would delve into all the details as you had yet to even take the Final Selection test. Yet she was convinced that you would make it past it and come back alive as one.

Once your mind had gotten over what the crow had said, and as it flew away, you sprinted from your spot to the wards, calling out to Aoi as you did so.

"Aoi! Prepare for an emergency surgery! Naho, Sumi and Kiyo, I need you three to help prep the ward for me!

Your mind was scrambling in thought of what to prepare for the incoming injured Demon Slayers. It was just like that day a few weeks ago when Tanjiro and the others were first admitted to the Estate. 

There was a flurry between the lot of you, rushing to make sure you had everything on hand. That all the tools that were available and might be needed were set out on different trays in one of the many rooms. This room is what you could only describe as an Operation Room (OR for short). Aside from not having the best light source given the date, it was just as sterile, if not more so, than the wards.

Between the time that the crow had relayed the message, and you and the others running around the Butterfly Estate, the Kakushi arrived with the injured Demon Slayers.

Suddenly feeling eerily calm, you watched as they carried them in, your eyes focusing solely on the one they brought into the OR. Kocho wasn't there to guide you thought it, but you had Aoi by your side while the other three took care of the lesser injured Slayers.

"Let's begin." Aoi nodded and the two of you entered the room with two other Kakushi. 

How you hadn't fainted at the sight of all the blood was a surprise to you. Thinking about how much you've faced here at the estate though it really shouldn't have been a surprise. You and Aoi had motioned to the Kakushi to make sure the Demon Slayer stayed as still as they could while the two of you worked. 

You left the administration of painkillers to Aoi while you started to cut and peel back the layers of clothes to get a closer look at the wound. 

It was grotesque.

A wide gaping hole.

If you were back home you would have thrown up and fainted at the sight. But you weren't home, you were here, with a Demon Slayer losing precious seconds on their life as they laid before you.

Swiftly, with a mask and gloves on, you began to prod the hole. Looking to see where the massive amounts of blood was pouring from. You had to hold yourself back from gagging as you leaned in closer to the injury. It didn't look anything that a sharp weapon would leave. Steeling yourself and your stomach, you plunged both hands into the wound.